Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Weird Hiccup sound and movement, Green cheek conure

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Weird Hiccup sound and movement, Green cheek conure

Postby amazhar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:50 am

Hello All,

I have a young green cheek (that I still need to name him). I only had him for almost two weeks now. From the first day he does this weird behavior that I need someone to explain for me.
He does what looks like a hiccup. A sound and a weird movement at the same times.

Is it normal?
Last edited by amazhar on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amazhar
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this Behavoir for my Green Cheek Normal?

Postby amazhar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 am

amazhar
Parrotlet

Re: Weird Hiccup sound and movement, Green cheek conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm

That's a baby asking for food but there is something wrong with your bird... it's all fluffed up and kind of lethargic... are you handfeeding it and offering soft foods served warm and fresh twice a day? Are you keeping track of its weight?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby amazhar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello,

No I am not hand feeding at all. I bought and supposedly it is weaned. I feed it fruits and some vegetables. Still trying to find a good pellets brand as it is hard to find here.

What's wrong with the bird?
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby amazhar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:28 am

I would also appreciate help with setting a good diet routine.
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:38 am

Pellets are mostly ground up seed probably shell and all. They do make sure your bird gets a variety of seed but with the joy they get of shelling the seed before eating I give mine seed in the evening.

What was the temperature of the room. If it was warm than Pajarita has it right. Mine sometimes fluff before I realize it is too cool.

There is something else. To me the bird is just making a contact tweet but why did it just sit there? That does not seem right. Usually a bird will face you and tweeter a lot more than that. It was also hunched down. It is not as alert as it should be.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 am

You really need to fix this problem asap or your going to loose your precious baby. If you haven't got the food thing handled ,mash sweet potato , carrot, cauliflower a little banana and some peas and start hand feeding. If food is not readily available where your at this is a start. Keep your bird warm and calm . BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34 am

amazhar wrote:I would also appreciate help with setting a good diet routine.

First you need to take the bird to an avian vet because, although it could just be undernourished (it sounds and looks awfully weak so don't wait!), it could also be sick - and, in reality, one follows the other because babies don't have a strong immune system so if it's not been fed right, it won't be able to fight pathogens as it should.

But, in the meantime, get yourself some handfeeding formula (breeders and petstores always tell you they are weaned but they never are) and start handfeeding it. I don't know how old the baby is, but, if it's older than 12 weeks, start with twice a day, once very early in the am (at dawn) and the other in the evening. After you handfeed in the morning, put out soft food (*) for it to eat and then again in the early afternoon. This food should be warm and fresh every time. Keep it VERY warn (90 degrees) but don't use a light for it, use a heating pad at the bottom of a small cage and cover the cage on three sides with some sort of material so the heat doesn't dissipate. Put a thermometer inside the cage (where the bird is perching) and adjust the setting on the heating pad so it's between 85 ad 90 degrees. And keep this cage in a quiet place.

(*) Soft food is what the name implies, food that is soft and easily digestible (think of what you would feed a human toddler). Things like cooked whole grains, old-fashioned (no sugar) oatmeal, polenta, couscous, pastina, etc mixed with baby food like sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. (no spinach).

Don't delay, baby birds don't last once they start going down...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care