Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long is OK for leaving my birds?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How long is OK for leaving my birds?

Postby AfricanGreyAfi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 am

Hi guys! I already own a kakriki parrot and CAG, i am considering getting another grey though.(please answer to my topic in parrot care). How long for leaving my parrots at home is OK, they are not alone I also own a giuena pig and a woman is going to be visiting them once in to days to check on them feed them let them fly ect. So that's not like they are on their own fully... Please help thanks! :gray: :gray: :perched:
AfricanGreyAfi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki, African Grey Congo,
Flight: Yes

Re: How long is OK for leaving my birds?

Postby alienlady » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 am

If you look in the forum threads there is one about leaving your birds.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 am

I am sorry but I don't understand your question - are you referring to the number of hours they are alone during the day when once needs to go out to work, run errands or whatever, or are you referring to you going away for days and leaving the birds behind?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AfricanGreyAfi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Pajarita wrote:I am sorry but I don't understand your question - are you referring to the number of hours they are alone during the day when once needs to go out to work, run errands or whatever, or are you referring to you going away for days and leaving the birds behind?
I mean leaving them for a few days, pick if I need to visit someone or something. Just wondering for the future. Thanks for your reply though I am sorry fro not being clear on this part. Thank you!
AfricanGreyAfi
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki, African Grey Congo,

Postby stevesjk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 am

They need fresh food and social interaction every day so leaving them is not advisable for long periods of time and considering you have an african grey its even more risky because the slightest change can set them off plucking.

You do have more than one bird so that might mean the presence of each other will soften the blow of you disappearing? I dont know, depends how well they get on i suppose - you know your birds best.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:03 am

No animal should be left on its own for more than a few hours, especially parrots. Leaving aside the issue that it's cruel to leave a social animal in isolation and that one cannot provide fresh food unless one is there, anything can happen even to the most well-behaved animal (a fire, a robbery, sickness, get a foot or the head caught somewhere, etc). And, when it comes to parrots, they NEED the company of humans because they are imprinted to them so, when you leave them alone for even a few hours, you are stressing them out something terrible. You might be able to leave a cat alone (under very special circumstances and in a very safe room) for a day but not a bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 am

I have left mine while running errands and shopping. Sometimes I am gone for about 5 hours.
They really give me an ear full when I get home. But mine are not alone.
My household is my aunt who is 87, my daughter who is 45 and me. Even when I am gone they still have the others.

I would never ever leave the house for a week or even over night without them having an extended family. If you cannot take them with you overnight does not compute. Even though I have family that they know I still worry that they are okay.

They are like children and should never be left very long. When going to work make sure they have enough to keep them busy in the day. Put them near a window that is busy outside to get their attention. Give them foraging toys to take up some of the time. Some people give theirs showers so they will be busy preening for a while. You could even leave them a TV on for them to watch.

Leaving a parrot alone for hours is really bad for them emotionally. Would you leave a child in a waiting room for that many hours with nothing to do?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 pm

I havent traveled anywhere except a road trip, landing for 3 days, my parrots taken along with me. They did exceptionally well. If i were to tske a few days to a week, id probablly start small. 2 days to get them used to it. And have someone who has been aquainted to come in and provide out of cage time with them. Otherwise, on a work day, they get a half hour bonding while trick training. An hour of free out of cage exploring. Then i race home to give them another couple hours. Similar to responsibility of kids waiting for you. Every day they have full spectrum on timer. Weekly exchange of chew toys, the other parrot and birds near by (best thing i ever did, and did so from advice on here. I love them both) And, every day they have a new music cd played lightly for them. Singular instrumentals. Even kids cds. Honestly, on a lengthier day, they can get to me, and when i feel it, i leave. Once home again, we we are happy to see each other again! Then the madness repeats day after month after year. Lol. Oh and in summer, i take them for rides in a wagon. Would anyone be willing to size my photo so i can post it??? Please please please?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 am

When her "G'mom" died, Rainbow bonded tighter to Rachel my daughter. She took a job that took her out of town for a week at a time. When she was gone Rainbow would come to me as number one.
When we moved she would stay back in NC for months before coming down. Rainbow disconnected from her and would not let her touch her. I am her number one. "Aunt Betty" is her number two because she can't stand to hear him beg and always shares. Rachel now comes in last.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care