Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from Dubai

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hi from Dubai

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:58 am

Welcome all of you from Dubai, first thing I would suggest is just spending time with a new bird in its cage , talking calmly and letting the bird get used to its new surroundings and cage. Then start by opening the door and giving veggies and fruit treats by hand until the bird gets used to it. Forcing the bird to interact with you on your terms will end in nothing but disaster. Parrots live along time and have a memory equal to there long life. Slow everything is what is required to gain there trust and one misstep can set your progress back substantially. Getting bit is a given and will happen to all of us so either learn how to read the birds body language or suffer the consequences , but don't retaliate or show aggression. I give mine a firm no and don't interact with them for a short time .Dietary needs differ in different species and with my African greys they get more of a calcium rich diet. Greys are notorious for feather destruction if there dietary and emotional needs are not met. Give plenty of out of cage time and proper diet and lots of toys and safe wood to chew on . These birds are very smart and require things like foraging toys and interactive toys to keep them stimulated. I shop at the infant section at the toy store for sturdy toys that play music and teach them. Hope this helps and again welcome everyone. Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:58 pm

BW, the OP is asking about taming two tiels so opening the cage to offer them treats is not going to work out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:43 pm

I guess in the beginning the poster was talking about a grey that flew in and the thread turned to cockatiels which I have no experience with . ;) BW this is a very confusing thread with several newbys hard to keep track so you go ahead on it , I'll butt :thumbsup: out
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:01 pm

I guess the new poster found Dubai on the title and decided to use the same thread but there is no need for you to 'butt out' :lol: I agree with you that it gets real confusing when people use somebody else's thread...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:44 am

Cockatiels: deserve as much respect as their bigger cousins, Just like the big parrots, each little being has it's own personality and fears. It should be allowed to exersize and that is done best by flying. Flying birds have less fear because they know they can take flight if a preditor comes along. You are a giant so you are the preditor.
A new bird that can fly can be turned loose in a parrot proof room before going into it's cage. It will fly until it is tired. When it lands on the floor it will either step up or allow you to scoop it. Just like the big parrots do not reach for them from above. Use a two hand scoop to lift him with your thumbs on the wings so they won't flap and hurt themselves.
Cockatiels bite more often then the large birds. That is the only way they can tell you no. Each bite will determine how scared it is. They can bite for you to feel it or they can bite to bring blood. If it brings blood it is your fault and you need to think about what made it that scared.
When they start loosing their fear they may do a chomp. All my parrots do it. It is like they are going to take a big bite but just hold on and "taste" you with their tongues. This is to better know you.
Parrots are all afraid of hands but they like to talk to faces. You should give him a perching place at face level to lessen their fear. Even the very scared ones will like to talk to your face as long as your hands are not near.
Parrots are social. They are born into, raised by and taught by the flock. You are now flock leader. The more time you spend with it the better. Even if you are very busy if you are in the room you can be watched and learned. Diet is discussed in other places in the forum, If your bird comes to you on a no veggie diet you will have to teach it to eat veggies and fruit. That is done by eating with it. I believe that parrot humans get healthier when they eat with their birds because they eat more fruit and veggies while teaching their birds
Just like a little kid, you have to learn it's personality to know how to deal with it.

Respect it's space. It is the only thing the bird has of it's own.
Learn it's personality so you know what it needs.
Be visible as much as possible so it can learn your personality.
Teach it as you would a scared child. It will learn things even when you are not paying attention.
Be careful how you talk. If you use bad words it will learn them and repeat.
Like a child use the same words. Do you want out. It is out time.
Feed it the same time every day and a little more than you think it can eat.

This is how I treat a healthy bird. My flock include refugees and crippled birds. Some came from very dark places. The really scared ones disappear into the flock and learn from them before it will come to me but it will come to me in it's own time.

That is all I can think of right now. I hope my bad spelling does not confuse you. I am just helping with learning the bird. Pajarita and the others will give you info on diet and lighting.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:20 am

WELCOME to all the Newbies. It is great to have you in the forum. I am sort of shut in and this is my neighborhood.

Please put your birds name and species in the info box to the left. It would also be nice to put your location there.

Go to the introduction part to give us some information on you and your birds. Then start a new thread for you and your birds.

Good to have you in the neighborhood.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 am

admissiongroup wrote:hi this is suman from india...

i got 2 Finches.... planning to give 1 for adoption

Reva University admission

You've given two different names and keep on posting on dead threads, please don't do that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Introductions