Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP! DYH making unwanted noise

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

HELP! DYH making unwanted noise

Postby sancho » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:41 pm

I have twin newborns that's almost 2 months old now and a 2 year old toddler. Ever since the twins came home my DYH has been making crying/screaming/squawking unwanted sounds and I don't know how to change that. I've tried ignoring it most of the time and go to him when he doesn't make the sound but it doesn't seem to work. In the morning, if someone is up or if he hears the babies cry he'll start making the noise until he sees me to let him out in the morning. He'll cry when the babies cry and when he does I'll put him inside his cage and when he stops I'll take him out again. Sometimes he won't stop so I have to cover him. I don't know what else to do. Help! I love all my babies and can't figure out how they all can get along.
sancho
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head
Flight: No

Re: HELP! DYH making unwanted noise

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Dont know if anything else can be done but to me I see it as normal, For example mine will scream when I'm on Netflix and if I pause it the screaming stops which could be either he wants my attention focused on him or he wants to communicate, He probably notices that when the babies cry they get attention so why cant he do the same is what he could be thinking.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:30 am

Mine cries like a baby especially when she hears children outside. She associates babies and small children with crying. If someone visits with a baby she starts crying when she sees it. I see it as part of her repertoire and don't try to change it.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:00 am

Rainbow cries "wa wa" like faking a cry.

The only solution you may have is to let your kids grow out of it. When they stop you feathered baby will either stop or slow down using it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby sancho » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm

thanks for the reply. i was thinking the same that he would stop when the babies stop. I'll have to learn to live with it since i have newborns. Rio is much louder than the babies and he gets them going to. I have 4 crying kids in the house! pray for me!
sancho
Parakeet

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 am

If he still does it when they are older you can say that's the noise you had to put up with when they were little :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 pm

sancho wrote:thanks for the reply. i was thinking the same that he would stop when the babies stop. I'll have to learn to live with it since i have newborns. Rio is much louder than the babies and he gets them going to. I have 4 crying kids in the house! pray for me!

Yes, he will -eventually- stop after he stops hearing the cries. But, please, do not cover him or put him in his cage. He is not doing anything wrong, he is just being a parrot and, even if he was doing something wrong, punishment doesn't work with parrots - they don't understand the concept of it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sancho » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Thank you for the advice. I feel less stressed now after hearing its normal behavior and I shouldn't take it out on him by punishing him. It's hard because I have other people in my household that can't handle the noise. But he is part of the family. I'm trying to walk away from him when he does it and give him more attention when he's not doing it. And I sing or play more music for him so he can make those noises instead.
sancho
Parakeet

Return to Taming & Basic Training