Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi guys! :) Is it just me, or are smaller parrots (budgies, tiels, lovebirds, p'lets) under appreciated? It seems like everyone thinks that they are less smart or have less personality than larger birds. I completely disagree. Not only can my tiel and budgie do tricks, but they have tons of personality. My tiel will 'bow' his head down for me to scratch him, and my budgie will do her 'sassy fly-bys' where she will chirp, take off, fly super close to me then zip back around to her cage. Why are small parrots so under appreciated? I hate when people treat them as 'starter birds'.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:58 am

I wasn't aware that they are unappreciated.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

"Starter bird" makes me sick. Each little one of those beings have as much going for them as the big parrots. The big parrots are not doing well either. Some are treated like decoration and some are abused for just being parrots. With the bigger parrots, those humans that really love them, can see how special they are and that their emotions run the same as ours. The little guys personalities are just as much but in a smaller bird.

I don't know why they are treated that way. Some have even been put out as if they could live with the other little birds. I have seen flocks with little parrots mixed in. Birds have more compassion than most humans and will accept another bird no matter how different it looks or talks.
When the bottom of Bubba's cage fell off outside he joined the Starling flock that was hanging in my yard. He and his mate, Sweetie, called back and forth for 3 days while the Starling stayed in the yard. When they flew off he went with them. Sweetie called and called for him then a male Cardinal showed up outside her window and on the rail of the deck. He spent a lot of time every day keeping her company. She even started sounding like the cardinal. I could not believe the compassion that Cardinal had for Sweetie when she was alone.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:53 am

I totally agree. Did you ever get your Bubba back?
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 pm

It's because they are aviary species and cheap - not that I agree with the sentiment, mind you!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Pajarita, I really don't agree with them being "aviary species". Sure they can live in an aviary, but being in an aviary means they don't bond with humans. I totally disagree with this because I have found that my birds really love me and CHOOSE to be with me, for example flying to me when THEY want to, which is all the time. If I leave the room, my birds will call out to me because they want me to come back and spend time with them. I really think that budgies, tiels, and other small parrots should be treated like the larger birds. They are no less intelligent and have no less personality. I know you think they do better in a flock, but handfed birds who have spent time with humans form day one can and do prefer humans over other birds. Budgies are one of the most popular pet birds, and yes I agree that IF the bird is not tame you should keep two or more of them, but hardly anybody actually has a huge outdoor aviary like you. If you feel that every small bird owner should keep them in an aviary with a flock, than maybe small parrots should only be left to the people who have the space for an aviary.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Thats not what she said at all, Aviary species can live together in a cage assuming its large enough, My understanding of an Aviary species is that they are very social and more *Flighty and from my experience anyway after getting a second bird they always choose the other bird and spend more time with them than you even hand fed babies.I also don't really think some do good mentally being alone without another bird haven't noticed it in Cockatiels though.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Pajarita, I really don't agree with them being "aviary species". Sure they can live in an aviary, but being in an aviary means they don't bond with humans. I totally disagree with this because I have found that my birds really love me and CHOOSE to be with me, for example flying to me when THEY want to, which is all the time. If I leave the room, my birds will call out to me because they want me to come back and spend time with them. I really think that budgies, tiels, and other small parrots should be treated like the larger birds. They are no less intelligent and have no less personality. I know you think they do better in a flock, but handfed birds who have spent time with humans form day one can and do prefer humans over other birds. Budgies are one of the most popular pet birds, and yes I agree that IF the bird is not tame you should keep two or more of them, but hardly anybody actually has a huge outdoor aviary like you. If you feel that every small bird owner should keep them in an aviary with a flock, than maybe small parrots should only be left to the people who have the space for an aviary.

It's not a matter of personal opinion, my dear, it's the way they are classified because of certain characteristics. I also believe, like you do, that they are as smart and have personalities just like the larger species do but that doesn't mean that they are not aviary. I think that the difference between aviary and companion has to do with the age they imprint filially and sexually. I think it happens very early for aviary species so, by the time they are pulled from the nest and their parents to be handfed, their brains have already registered the fact that they are birds and of a certain species and not people. And it's not that they don't love their humans! Far for me to even think such a thing! Of course they do! BUT if they have the choice to hang out with a flock or even just a mate of their own species and with humans, they will prefer to be with the other birds. They will love you and they will come to you and interact with you gladly but they will always go back to the mate or flock. And this happens even when they were handfed and even when they did not know of another bird for years and years. I had a handfed female love bird (her name was Matilda) who was given up because of aggression (she bit EVERYBODY!) and she loved having a husband (ended up having two of them because the first one died) and living in a flock but, as soon as I would call her name when I came into the birdroom, she would come flying to perch on my shoulder and would ride on it for a while, kiss my cheek and cuddle against my neck - even when she was sitting on eggs! I love that little bird to pieces!

I don't have an outdoor aviary (I wish I did though!) and, right now, the budgies and the plets are in good size cages but not flight ones, but, as soon as I rehome the lovebirds and Pookey TAG, they are getting them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 pm

My budgie just landed on my knee :lol: Parrotlets are known to be aggressive toward other birds. They do better in separate cages from each other. I've never owned a plet, but I've heard this from other plet owners. You are a breeder, aren't you? So do you really expect everyone else to give their bird a mate and let them lay eggs and have babies? That's simply not realistic.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:My budgie just landed on my knee :lol: Parrotlets are known to be aggressive toward other birds. They do better in separate cages from each other. I've never owned a plet, but I've heard this from other plet owners. You are a breeder, aren't you? So do you really expect everyone else to give their bird a mate and let them lay eggs and have babies? That's simply not realistic.

She's not a breeder but I know someone who does own a huge aviary on a large piece of land and he has 2 companion Parrots he free flys and then he has others that he keeps in a large aviary on another property and he just lets them be birds and lets them breed if they want to, I have never met an aggressive Parrotlet but I guess thats why most get along well with lovebirds because they have similar personalities :lol: I have two Cockatiels who I was going to let them breed as the female did wanna but Rocko didn't so I just let them be, They don't like each other that way but they are best friends.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Next

Return to General Parrot Care