Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I Met a Cockatiel at a Store, Are They Good Pets?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I Met a Cockatiel at a Store, Are They Good Pets?

Postby Georginia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:49 pm

I met him at a pet store called Panhandle Pet Supply, where I was going to get some toys and food for my 'keets. He was in a pretty large cage at the front of the store, where you checked out and payed for everything. I don't think he was for sale, but he sure was adorable! He seemed like a nice, human-friendly little guy. He would go down to his food bowl and pick up a pellet, bring it up to the top on his perch, and would nibble on it. He started whistling to me, and I whistled back, and after a bit he just started copying my whistle, and we started whistling to each other. Unlike a Budgie's squawk, his chirping and singing was actually delightful to listen to. I felt so bad for him, he had no birdie friends and he seemed like he just wanted to be with me. I wasn't really interested in Cockatiels before, but after meeting this little guy, I think he'd be a nice little bird friend to have. I just wanted to ask (you know, in case I ever wanted to get one anytime soon), what is the overall personality of a Cockatiel? What's yours like (if you have one)? How do they compare to Budgies? Should I consider getting one? :greycockatiel:
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: I Met a Cockatiel at a Store, Are They Good Pets?

Postby stevesjk » Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 am

Yes they can be great pets but their contact calls are louder than budgies.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby alienlady » Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 am

They are perfect pets but make sure you know what you want first. Your other posts give the impression that you're undecided :lol: Whatever bird you decide on please get a rescue bird, so many are desperate for homes.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 am

Georginia, they are special little birds as you can see in my info box I have quite a few. Even my handicapped birds seem very happy to be in my flock. They start singing about an hour before the break of dawn and continue through the day. Their only quiet time is between 2 and 4 pm. I don't understand it but they even sometimes sing in the middle of the night. They are flockers and do not do well alone.

Some people have single cockatiels but if your read those posts the humans are owned by the bird. These people have wrapped their whole world around their birds.

I think you are wanting more than you can handle. You have not been able to bond close enough to your budgies to see what wonderful little beings they are.

I don't remember if you said how old you are but you also need to think into the future. I have some that I have had for 18 years and they are still going strong. When I die my birds are in my will because even the cockatiels can live to be 25.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 am

They can be very cuddly but not all will be, They don't naturally lie on their backs but my Female will and they can be very loud which id rather listen to a larger birds scream such as Oscar lol.The crest can tell you a lot about how they are feeling.They can live into their 40's.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 9:30 am

:lol: If you think that budgies 'squawk', you would not be able to stand a single tiel calling incessantly for a mate - which is what will happen if you get only one. It's funny with tiels because if you have a mate-bonded pair, you only hear the male calling mostly at the beginning of breeding season and never hear a peep out of the female BUT if you have a single bird, even the females will drive you crazy with their non-stop calling. And it doesn't matter how many hours you spend with it, they all do it because although a handfed one can bond, up to a point, with a human, it will always want a mate of its own. This is not my personal opinion, it's a fact. Nature did not give any animal a stronger and more imperative goal in life than to procreate.

You could get a pair and they will be as tame as a single one although they might not be loving toward you (but this doesn't mean they won't want to perch on your shoulder or enjoy a head scratch every now and then as long as you take your own sweet time taming them and bonding with them). If you do decide to get a pair, please adopt them, don't buy from a store (people who treat animals like merchandise should not be encouraged to do so) - there are lots and lots and lots of tiels up for adoption in Craiglist and rescues.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am

Pajarita wrote::lol: If you think that budgies 'squawk', you would not be able to stand a single tiel calling incessantly for a mate - which is what will happen if you get only one. It's funny with tiels because if you have a mate-bonded pair, you only hear the male calling mostly at the beginning of breeding season and never hear a peep out of the female BUT if you have a single bird, even the females will drive you crazy with their non-stop calling. And it doesn't matter how many hours you spend with it, they all do it because although a handfed one can bond, up to a point, with a human, it will always want a mate of its own. This is not my personal opinion, it's a fact. Nature did not give any animal a stronger and more imperative goal in life than to procreate.

You could get a pair and they will be as tame as a single one although they might not be loving toward you (but this doesn't mean they won't want to perch on your shoulder or enjoy a head scratch every now and then as long as you take your own sweet time taming them and bonding with them). If you do decide to get a pair, please adopt them, don't buy from a store (people who treat animals like merchandise should not be encouraged to do so) - there are lots and lots and lots of tiels up for adoption in Craiglist and rescues.

Thats how Rocko was before I got Loki, Always chirping for other birds though in this house its Loki who makes the most noise.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 am

:lol: That's because Rocko would not 'put out'!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 am

Pajarita wrote::lol: That's because Rocko would not 'put out'!

What do you mean?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 am

Well, didn't you say that Loki wanted to breed but Rocko was not interested? That's what I meant.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to General & Off Topic