Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Birds Won't Come Out of Their Cage

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

My Birds Won't Come Out of Their Cage

Postby Georginia » Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm

When they lived in their smaller cage, I used to get them on my finger and bring them out of the cage. Now I've decided I'll just leave the cage door open to allow them to come out when they want. However, they are not coming out, even if I leave the door open for a while. They've never really enjoyed out of cage time, in fact, when I bring them out, they just sit their huddled together chirping to each other. I've head that most birds like to fly and explore when out of the cage, but not mine. How can I get them to come out of their cage and enjoy out-of-cage time?
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: My Birds Won't Come Out of Their Cage

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm

If they wanna come out they will :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Just give them some time to bond with you, when they are bonded with you they will always want to come out :) I visited, and even helped handfeed, Ducky when he was at the pet store, so he came home already bonded to me. He LOVES being out of the cage and will pace back and forth when he hears me come into the room. Bluebell was a very friendly budgie that loved people so she also came home being good with people. Try giving them millet or other treats while they are out of the cage, but don't provide those same treats in the cage. When their wings grow out, they'll be a lot more confident in themselves when they know they can escape from danger. When Ducky was clipped (the pet store did it without asking us), he wouldn't let me set him down on his perch while out because he was completely dependent on me and didn't feel safe leaving me, but when he got his wings back he felt much safer going places while out of the cage. Now he lets me set him down anywhere because he knows he can fly to me if he ever feels unsafe. Maybe your birds need a "safe zone" where they can always go to if they feel unsafe. This can be you, the top of their cage, inside the cage, or a playgym or tree. When your birds get their wings back, they will feel safe being out because they know they can always fly to their cage if they need to.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby liz » Tue May 02, 2017 7:00 am

Ignore them. You have had them for a while but they are still scared. They need to hear you and see you without you putting your attention on them. Parrot proof your room and open the door.
Talk to yourself or read out loud. It will take a while since you have had them and not worked with them.
If you follow the taming info they will not only come out but will eventually come to you. I sit on the floor in the Cockatiel room and talk to myself or sing. After a while they move in on me and some even taste my toes. They are trying to figure me out what that giant is doing in their room.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 02, 2017 9:46 am

Liz is 100% correct. Nothing reassures a bird more about our intentions than ignoring it because the only other animals that pay a lot of attention to other animals are predators so, when you ignore them, they relax. Just open the cage door and go about your business in your room and, one day, they will come out on their own. Trick or tiel is also right in that once they get their wings back, they will feel much more self-assured and will be more willing to come out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu May 04, 2017 6:09 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:If they wanna come out they will :)

Put millet, or any other food that they really like. just outside the cage. Then ignore them. I have never reached into a cage to get a bird unless it was an emergency. Pay closer attention to their personalities. You will see that there are two different ones.

A budgie holds the record of saying so many words in a row. They have little voices and you really have to listen. I think they are talking and you are not catching it. Budgies can learn tricks just like the big parrots. They are just too darn cute to watch.
I believe that Harley and Marley would talk about me behind my back. They would have long chirpy conversations and never let me in.

Check in youtube at what budgies can be. You will be amazed. Just key in "Budgie".
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu May 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Liz, you are so right. Budgies are always the most under appreciated parrot, treated like decorations that flit around in a cage. They talk, do tricks, and have loads of personality. Many times, I see something written like "they make great starter pets for young kids" or "they are low-maintenance pets". Not true at all. No parrot is low-maintenance.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby liz » Fri May 05, 2017 4:55 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Liz, you are so right. Budgies are always the most under appreciated parrot, treated like decorations that flit around in a cage. They talk, do tricks, and have loads of personality. Many times, I see something written like "they make great starter pets for young kids" or "they are low-maintenance pets". Not true at all. No parrot is low-maintenance.

I am so grateful to be in this forum with like minded people.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am

Well, actually, budgies are not as high maintenance as larger parrots so, although I would not characterize ANY parrot as a low maintenance pet, if one is going to make a 'maintenance scale', they are low maintenance compared to other species - same as tiels, lovies, plets, beebees, grass keet, and all the aviary small species. Before you jump on my back, let me explain what I mean. With these species, all you need is a LARGE flight cage placed in a good spot with both natural and artificial light, keep them at a solar schedule and feed them right. Of course, this also implies your having at the very, very least, one male/female pair. And, as long as you give them these things, they are perfectly happy and healthy. Larger parrots need hours and hours of out of cage and hours and hours of one-on-one plus a more complicated diet, learning how to handle them correctly, teach them what to eat and, sometimes, you even need to make them exercise because they would not do it on their own -something that you never need to worry about with the little aviary ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri May 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I really don't want to start an argument here, but small birds should be able to come out too, for at least two hours every day. My tiel will chirp A LOT if he doesn't get enough time outside his cage. He doesn't actually like being in his cage, even though it is very large (20 by 30 by 40 inches) and has tons of toys and perches, and of course gloop and greens and pellets. But he still LOVES to come out, even though his cage has everything he could ever need and would go crazy if he had to stay in the cage all the time. Every time I let him out, he flies around and around the room to stretch those wings after being cooped up for a while. No parrot should waste its life away in a cage without ever coming out. Of course, if they live in an aviary, they don't need to come out, but if they live in a cage, they do. I know you may be thinking that if the cage is large enough, they won't need it, but birds can never really truly fly in a cage, even a flight one. They might be able to fly from perch to perch, but never fly laps around the room out of pure joy. My budgie and tiel love to fly laps together around our bird room, if one bird takes off the other follows. And they love human interaction, even if they have a mate or a flock. If a bird bows his head down, that means they want scritches. They simply can't get enough exercise, social interaction, and mental stimulation just sitting around in a cage. And I also think that tiels are a little more work than budgies. My budgie will be okay if she's in her cage for a while and she actually likes her cage, but not my tiel. The only time he chooses to go back in his cage is when he's hungry or thirsty, but even then he just gets a sip of water or a bite of pellets, then I find him landing on my head.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Next

Return to General & Off Topic