Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Conure quacks??

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

New Conure quacks??

Postby Kdoyle1053 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:24 am

Hi, i just bought a young green cheek conure from my friend's mother who is a vet, and she kind of does a duck quacking noise sometimes, i looked it up online and some people say its like a fear thing, but she does it a lot when i'm giving her scritches and stuff so i don't really think it is. does anyone know what it means? is it a good or a bad thing? :gcc: also she gets a little mad when i put my hand in her cage, she doesnt get really aggressive, just sort of like, "hey this is my place, go away" is there any way to stop her from being upset when i put my hand in her cage? will this go away eventually once she warms up to me more? she is fine out of the cage, she has only bitten me once but it wasn't hard enough to draw blood.
Kdoyle1053
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: New Conure quacks??

Postby liz » Thu May 04, 2017 5:12 am

You got it right. It is her cage and she does not want you in it. She has been moved around so much all she can claim of her own is that cage. You are a prediter giant and took her away from things she knows She does not know where she is or who you are. Put her a perch as close as you can to your face level. She will talk to your face long before she wants to be touched.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am

She could be asking for food... Can you video her when she does these sounds and show us? How old is she? Are you handfeeding or, at the very least, giving her soft foods?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby prettyolive » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi. I have a Green Cheek Pineapple Conure. Got her from the very best place..Preuss Pets Lansing, Mi

She was hand fed/raised. I brought her home when she was around 6 or 7 mos old.

I have had her for about 8 mos. We are, now, getting our groove with one another. I am not sure of the sound she makes....Olive is full flighted. Her cage is quite large. Many different toys..fabulous food...do not give her a seed diet. He/she will pick out what she likes and leave the rest. Feed her quality pellet food. Each pellet has the same nutrition. I give Olive two different fresh veggies daily.

Sorry, I digress.

Yes, their "house" is their safe haven. It may take a while to trust you when putting your hand in her house. I open the door and pull down the 'porch" when allowing her out. That is when I put my hand in her home to take out the dishes, then refill them.

Olive makes different sounds...thru time I have learned what she means.

Hang in there, be patient...they are lovely parrots.

My name is Barb. You are welcome to call me with questions if you wish. I, previously, had Charlie, a Solomon Island Ecelctus...Quite familiar with birds...

They are all different, personality wisre, you need to get to know one another.

Very good luck...
prettyolive
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Female Green Cheek Pineapple Conure

Postby liz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am

Yes, these little beings are all individuals with different personalities.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Species