Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds retirement home

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Birds retirement home

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 06, 2017 11:04 am

This is an article about a man who, obviously, has the best of intentions but whom I personally think is WAAAAYYYY over his head with the HUGE number of birds he has taken in.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-04/b ... rs/8497724
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Birds retirement home

Postby Georginia » Sun May 07, 2017 2:15 am

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. He is doing a great thing, and as long as he can actually care for all of these birds, he's fine. Now, it'd be a whole other story if he was doing it for the right reason, but just couldn't care for all of them but yet continued to do what he's doing.
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets

Postby liz » Sun May 07, 2017 6:02 am

His heart is in the right place though I don't think the parrots are getting what they need. I think that was a 12X12 cage the Cockatoo was in. He has so many that he can not keep them clean enough.
They are much better off than being passed around until someone puts them in a basement or closet.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 am

Georginia wrote:I personally don't see anything wrong with this. He is doing a great thing, and as long as he can actually care for all of these birds, he's fine. Now, it'd be a whole other story if he was doing it for the right reason, but just couldn't care for all of them but yet continued to do what he's doing.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? How could anybody -much less an old person- care for over 1,600 birds?! It's impossible no matter how you look at it. There aren't enough hours in the day to feed and clean all of them so forget about spending time with them. And let's not even go into the expense! You should see my supermarket bills and I only have 35 birds! Plus the housing... the cockatoo in the picture seems to be in a dog crate but, even if it isn't, it's not a parrot cage.

The problem is that even good-intentioned people could be doing harm if they are over their heads. I've seen it happened several times with people I knew myself. All rescuers have a 'hoarding streak' in them, it's part of being an animal lover. The good ones suppress it and just do as much good as they can but, sometimes, even the good ones fall into the trap of thinking that they are the only ones that can do it and end up taking in too many animals with the inevitable consequence of their not receiving the attention they need. Do you actually believe that the 91 year old cockatoo is going to the avian vet twice a year? Of course not! With 1,600 birds to feed and house, there is no way on this green earth that this man has the money or the time to do it. And, no, volunteers don't do it, either. They come and go and by the time they learned enough to do things without supervision and the birds got used to them, the greatest majority of them quits. Sometimes it's not even because they got 'tired' of doing it but because they have no choice...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm

OMG!

Just... OMG.

OMG.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:18 pm

1600 birds? We spend well into the six figures trying to care for 1/10 of that. And that doesn't count all the food and cages that are donated!

I
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

And I have exactly 1/10 of that amount , 16 in my care to date and nobody could convince me that those birds are anywhere near properly cared for physically , emotionally or medically. I have 1 full time employee and 1 part time and I'm on a dead run from dusk to before dawn. There are many that have medical issues being addressed , meds , vet visits and emotional problems and there still isn't enough hours in the day. Maybe if those birds were in large flight avairys that you could take a pressure washer to and they all lived in a flock specific situation but that does not look like the case there. It takes exactly 2 hours to clean my bird room daily , 1 hour in morning to feed breakfast and clean water and 1hour to set up and power wash the outside avairys DAILY !!! Maybe I'm a little OCD about tidy birdie butts , but that alone has taken a huge chunk out of my day. Meds and one on one working time takes another big chunk . He obviously has a huge heart with an out of control habit. Did anyone else catch the part of the interview where he said he would rather swap with breeders??? Red flag in my books. :shock: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby galeriagila » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Wow.
Just...
WOW!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Return to Parrot Tales