Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How can I teach my 1 year old parrot to step up?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How can I teach my 1 year old parrot to step up?

Postby OllieOO2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:58 am

Hello, my Quaker parrot is little over a year old and travels backwards and forwards between places in the week and week-ends. He will accept chillies (his favourite treat) from my fingers inside and outside of his cage (as long as he's on top of his cage). However, he is afraid of my hands and if bring my hand anywhere near him; open, closed, hooked, whatever he'll either fly away squaking outside of his cage or climb to the highest point in his cage and growl at me. I've tried many different methods such as desensitisation and positive reinforcement but as long as a chilly isn't extended out towards him or my hands are there - he'll freak out. I can't spend as much time as I want with him due to work related issues and I feel like that's had an impact on him -- because I've had to work very long shifts ever since I bought him in April 2016. Anyway, I'm still relatively new to this, what do you suggest? Is there a more efficient method or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

OllieOO2
OllieOO2
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training