Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wild Parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Wild Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Feather glow has a pretty good selection of soak and serve all inclusive meals that I just discovered that make things easy . The one I'm just trying is called birdeeze buffet it has everything in it , very complete and easy. I just boil water , take it off and add mix cover for 20 mins and drain of excess water and cool. 10 out of the 14 went right for it and that's impressive with my spoiled flock. I cook for my birds twice a day and this really helps me in a pinch. :) BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Sheils » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for advise, so is it a good idea to add fresh fruit to the grain that I will give her in the morning? This will be her first grain meal ever so i think i should add the fruit to it and see what she does.
Sheils
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 pm

I make my birds fresh food every morning and with the grains I add chopped greens veggies and a couple different fruits and hemp seed flax seed and wheat germ. I make big batches as I have several birds , but the sky really is the limit making. Get creative and keep there taste buds in mind. :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 am

Paj, would you consider mustache parakeets, and Alexandrines to be in the same category as IRN as far as being aviary birds?

We have had a couple of IRNs that were pretty friendly, a pair of Alexandinres that were too, and as far as mustache parakeets go, I've found some of them to be the friendliest, cuddliest little birds on the world. We currently have a female mustache parakeet that is so so sweet to me. If I wasn't worried about a jealousy issue with my GCC, I'd have brought her home already!
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 am

Bird woman wrote:Feather glow has a pretty good selection of soak and serve all inclusive meals that I just discovered that make things easy . The one I'm just trying is called birdeeze buffet it has everything in it , very complete and easy. I just boil water , take it off and add mix cover for 20 mins and drain of excess water and cool. 10 out of the 14 went right for it and that's impressive with my spoiled flock. I cook for my birds twice a day and this really helps me in a pinch. :) BW

Hmmm, I am afraid that I don't like Featherglow. For one thing, it's feed quality ingredients (I only use human grade and mostly organic) and, for another, it's mostly beans (which is not good because beans have very high levels of oxalic acid) plus it has soybeans, dry corn and red beans in it (three things that I would never feed my birds).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sheils » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 am

Thank you ones again for your advise. please help if wrong. This is how my day begins I work shifts so it's a bit difficult to stick to one routine.Okay my birds sleeps with me in the bedroom, Kiko sleeps with me on the bed and Tiekie in her cage close to my bed where she can see me. I get up at 5 in the morning first thing I do is make their chop which consist of mix grain with fresh fruit in one bowl in another bowl I put a mixture of sunflower seeds and fruit pellets as Kiko eats the pellets but he loves the grain, but I still leave the pellets and sunflower seeds with the chop. Before I leave for work I put their cages in the kitchen at he door so that they can see what is going on outside and also their food, then I put the kitchen light off it's still dark when i leave so if they want to go sleep a bit more they can do so. I then close the kitchen door. when I get home at about 7 it is already dark but before I open the kitchen door I call their names to let them know "mom" just arrived and that I will make my appearance. when i enter Kiko is very happy to see me and Tikie make sure it is me who entered and then makes a sound I assume its a hello sound then I check the grain to see how much they ate of it and it seems like they do eat quit allot but I can't just leave the mix grain and fruit there as I am scared they will not eat enough and will loose weight. then I put their cages back in my bedroom and interact with them, Kiko on top of me and Tikie in and out her cage until it's time to go sleep. When I work night shift our daily routine is as follows, when I get home at about 7 in the morning lay in bed talking and interacting with them, then I do the same with the food but instead of putting them in the kitchen I put their cages outside for them to explore the outside world then Tikie is at her best she is in and out and off her cage and just love it to be outside. I am always busy in the kitchen so I never loose sight of them and then I will spend most of the day sitting by them reading or just keeping myself busy in the kitchen. I take a nap in the afternoons then I bring them back into the kitchen, because I stay alone there is no other routine I can give them but so far so good they will get use to the routine. Kiko use to go with me to work every day from since he was a baby then I change jobs and unfortunately I could no longer take him with to work but he got use to it as I put the radio on for them during the day. Is there anything wrong with this routine ? O yes i almost forgot to ask you Kiko's feet seems to have a yellowish color but it also looks like it's peeling is that normal or is there something wrong? but it looks like his normal color is also making its appearance??????? thnx again for all your advise.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Ay, my dear, I am afraid that these schedules are not healthy for any bird! Birds are photoperiodic - a long word means that they regulate their endocrine system (glands and hormones) by the amount and quality of light their bodies are exposed to. They require a strict solar schedule which means no artificial lights whatsoever during the night and until the sun is out in the ski as well as after the sun reaches halfway down the horizon in the afternoon because it's not only a matter of them seeing sunlight during the day but also allowing for full exposure to the different spectrum that happens during twilight because it's this 'special' light that turns on or off their internal clock - the one that tells them what season it is, if the body should start producing a certain hormone or shut down production altogether. Without the clues set up by evolution, their bodies cannot work right. Basically, they need to be kept the same as the birds out in the trees so their endocrine system doesn't go out of whack - because, when that happens, it affects EVERYTHING from sleep patterns, appetite, molt, mood and, of course, when they produce or don't produce sexual hormones and even their immune system! It's very, very hard to keep a bird healthy and happy because it's almost impossible for people with a normal lifestyle to comply with their physical needs. I don't know what to tell you... My life revolves around my birds light schedule. I can do it because I don't work, my children are all grown and I have a very understanding family so they all know that, if they come after the sun starts to set, there won't be any lights in the living and dining room, that I don't go out anywhere that takes more than 2 hours in the winter and that there is to be no TV, no radio, not even talking in a loud voice if it's dark - even if it's only 5 pm! Believe it or not, I only have company for dinner during the summer so the birds sleep patterns would not be screwed up and their bodies exposed to any light.

Put 'avian photoperiodism' in your search engine and you'll see how important it is to keep them to a strict solar schedule... but, in truth, I don't know how you could manage it with your schedules.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sheils » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:08 am

Thank you for your reply. I wish I could be in your shoes to be able to spend 24 hours a day with my birds but unfortunately I am not that fortunate. I am single which means I have to work full time. I'm sure here must be someone who will be able to help or do you think its best I leave the birds in one place in the house so that they can adapt to the surroundings instead of been moved around and get confused as to when it's day or night? that is the only thing I can think of now or any other suggestions? I want to give my birds the best and want them to be as comfortable as possible. please advise what is normal room temperature for my two parrots?
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby liz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 am

[quote="Bird woman"]I make my birds fresh food every morning and with the grains I add chopped greens veggies and a couple different fruits and hemp seed flax seed and wheat germ. I make big batches as I have several birds , but the sky really is the limit making. Get creative and keep there taste buds in mind. :D[/quote

Once a month I set up grain packets that can be soaked in boiling water in a thermal cup overnight. I drain and rinse in the morning then add frozen peas and carrots to thaw before I drain the rinse. The Cockatiels love to beat up on a stalk of celery every day but will also eat some apple and orange. I don't do chop. I would not want to be served that way. I chop up vegetable and serve them on a plate so they can see right away what they want. The veggies in the grain mixture are visibly in it and can be picked out.

Myrtle loves the grain mix and Rainbow likes to pick the veggies out of it. I let some of the frozen veggie thaw and cut into pick up size. I cut veggies the size that they can pick up (apple, orange, grapes, broccoli and cauliflower and anything else I have. I serve them on a plate as I would for humans. If I served chop one of them would make it hit the floor. I also give handouts of healthy stuff to them when they beg for mine.

Of course I have the advantage that Rainbow and Myrtle eat and drink from the same dishes. I serve cockatiel food on a platter so they can all eat at the same time.

When someone says I have too many animals I tell them I only have 4: one Chihuahua, two Amazons and a FLOCK of Cockatiels. Though they are all individual with different likes and dislikes I serve enough variety that they all eat from one platter and drink from one cup. If I served chop they would have it everywhere and stuck on them too when they walk in the middle of the platter to pick out what they want.

I also do not throw a dog biscut on the floor. I hand the dogs their biscuts. I would not want food thrown at me. I believe that every one of mine has a different personality just like people and deserve respect. All my critters respect me (except when Myrtle does a fly by and pulls my hair.)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Sheils » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 am

I'm sure here must be someone who will be able to help or do you think its best I leave the birds in one place in the house so that they can adapt to the surroundings instead of been moved around and get confused as to when it's day or night? that is the only thing I can think of now or any other suggestions? I want to give my birds the best and want them to be as comfortable as possible. please advise what is normal room temperature for my two parrots?
Sheils
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training