Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Maybe I should just do like he suggested and remove it. Has anyone out there had any experience with a bird with only one wing? I know the balance will be off but I'm more concerned of the phycological aspect of removing it. I know it bothers her because she chews on that side of her feathers. I made YaYa and pearly a private room yesterday and set it up with all the eminities and both are happy little girls. They can convelous together. The room is big and bright with tons of play space and there already exploring and getting into there new toy box full of toys. Spoiled little girls. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 am

Phoenix, with the chopped wing, lets his heel then chews on it again. I thought about having it removed but then remembered my uncle. He was in a motor cycle accident and half his left arm was ripped off. He kept having accidents involving that arm so had to have it removed. He would have pain in his arm that was not there. I am afraid that removing the wing will not stop the pain he feels but increase it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am

Well, Patti, let me tell you that I would consider amputation very seriously. For one thing, it will be a one time thing in terms of surgery while the other one would require weeks and weeks of treatment, lots of X-Rays and, most likely, a second surgery -all VERY stressful to the bird and for a wing that has not been used for a long time and will never be used even after a successful surgery! Pablo has only one wing and a little stump on the other one and he does just fine! He eats, he drinks, he perches, he climbs, he bathes, he cuddles with Codee, etc. But I am still considering total amputation very seriously because he keeps on getting the end of the stump hurt all the time. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that he is o old and is in such bad shape... if it wasn't for that, I would have done it already!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm

She does have very limited use of the arm but you've really have given me thought on a lot of questions I would have never asked . Thank you so much , I just want her comfortable and as normal as she can be. She is the triton and so sweet and full of it. :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:51 am

I had no real choice for Pretty Bird because it was a leg and she was using it even with the broken bones moving in it but, if it had been a wing and I knew then what I know now about all that fixing it implied, I would have chosen amputation.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 pm

BOY , you'd think I committed the cardinal sin putting new flooring in the birds rooms. Jazzie is so mad at me I have to towel him to put him up at night and Nigel is chasing my feet again and all the rest seem to have big attitudes. It's been a very trying 2 days. Still no plan or call back from the Dr. Office up north or mine. I think I've decided to just have the wing amputated so no chance of other maijor complications. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 am

I think you have made the right decision, Patti... at least, that's what I would do if the bird was under my care: one surgery, take everything that's broken out, stitch it close and end of story. Toos are not much for flying and the bird is already used to having only one good wing anyway so it wouldn't have improved its life much aside from the fact that it was not going to have a moving broken bone in there - the same result you are achieving with the amputation only through a single procedure which is much less stressful than the other option.

Days are getting shorter and the short day breeders are getting stupid, again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 am

Bird woman wrote:BOY , you'd think I committed the cardinal sin putting new flooring in the birds rooms. Jazzie is so mad at me I have to towel him to put him up at night and Nigel is chasing my feet again and all the rest seem to have big attitudes. It's been a very trying 2 days. Still no plan or call back from the Dr. Office up north or mine. I think I've decided to just have the wing amputated so no chance of other maijor complications. BW

In NC we changed every room from carpet to laminate. When I put down a new area rug, Rainbow did not understand what it was and tried to taste each color.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Just took on a parrot sitting job , 2 yr old macaw and boy does this child need some structure. His dad really loves him and was so happy to find me. He's a fire fighter that leaves at a moments notice and of all days I had a doctors appointment and he had to leave that quick. The bird was on the patio when I got home with the swamp cooler on him and mad as hell. :shock: he's a male bonded bird , no females around so I thought I was in for it but had him on me , snuggling getting his head much needed preened and eating veggies within 2 hours , things his owner says he doesn't do. His eyes and body language indicate total curiosity and he wants to check out everything and play with every toy. With my arm the way it is I don't need to be packing a macaw around but I'm going to take advantage with the time I have with this bird and get him on the right path. It's this guy's first bird and he's trying to follow to much internet info from two many sites and opinions. I finally have a good solid plan with a great vet out of lake Oswego for YAYA AND JAZZIE. ITS 5 1/2 hours away so she will schedule both there operations for the same day and care for them for 1 week so they can travel back the following week. I'm pretty excited she is waiting for my vet down here to send all the rest of the records and ex`rays. Wish the kids luck! :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Re: Little bird rescues7

Postby liz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 am

The owner of the bird loves him but is ignorant as to how to care for him and how to give him enrichment. Keep a pad and pen close and write down everything you do with his bird. Also tell about his personality.
People can own and love their pets and still not realize that they are beings in their own right. They love and care for their pets and never realize that the pet has input in their relationship.

At this pint Myrtle is like a bratty little 2 year old girl even if she is 7
Rainbow (.changed from Rambo) is like a 5 year old with a speech impediment. I keep reminding myself that she is 32 and has lived long enough to know more than she tells me. I try to give her the respect due her age and intelligents. He is still learning and even teaching me.
After being hormonal this year she has expanded her life and is now playing with toys. She did not have toys when she came to me and really didn't care about them before this.

They are always changing and expanding. The owner needs to get on board while you can still help him.

Bless you for taking him in and teaching him that he can be an individual.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic