Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Keeping Two Female Budgies?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Keeping Two Female Budgies?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Are two females more likely to lay eggs than one female alone? Because I really don't want her to lay eggs. It just puts a lot of unnecessary stress on her body, and I would like to avoid that as much as possible.

Maybe I am not explaining myself correctly. Once you have a female, the possibility of getting eggs is there. Having one, two, or fifty is completely irrelevant in relation to the risk of this happening because the ONLY thing that matters is whether you are giving the proper or improper care. As to the laying eggs putting a lot of unnecessary stress on their bodies and your not wanting her to lay any eggs... well, laying eggs is only stressful if the care is not the right one and preventing them from ever laying eggs will result in a sick bird that will die young because healthy birds under good care always will.

Laying eggs is the most natural thing in the world for a bird and not dangerous or depleting at all as long -again- that the bird is in good condition which implies the room to fly (because the same muscles they use to push the eggs out are the ones that move the wings up and down), the right diet and supplements (to ensure the calcium supply is adequate and that the bird has enough vit D3 to absorb it) and that their endocrine system is in tune with the seasons (strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk).

Also, if your concern is that the bird got along, a male and female will do it but two females might have issues, I would think (I don't know because I never had only two budgies and of the same gender). In my personal opinion, if we had a 1 to 10 scale of 'happiness' for budgies, with 10 being perfectly happy and 1 being not happy, it would go something like this:

Only budgie = 1

Two budgies of the same gender = 4

A bonded pair = 6

A small flock in captivity = 8

A wild flock = 10
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I got mine a friend but he was never entirely comfortable with it unfortunately. They ended up in seperate cages but i think they did get on from afar.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Yes, Steve, you mentioned this before but I think the problem was that you did not introduce them properly because, in all the years I've had budgies and all the budgies I've had under my care, I've seen the sum total of one single fight and it was on the first breeding season of two brothers which wanted the same hen. It happened only once and it was finished almost as soon as it started. Mind you, that doesn't mean they don't bicker because they do! Harley is always pestering poor Blue and, sometimes, Blue gets annoyed and scolds and even lunges at Harley but he never really bites him -the beak stops short of actually touching him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:16 pm

I have 4 budgies left at the rescue. Three big, green, English Budgie hens, and a tiny sky blue and white guy who I think is a male, but I am never sure with color mutations. I really want someone to take them all. I don't want the flock to get any smaller.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 am

LOL = And I bet the little guy thinks he has died and gone to heaven with three big strapping girls all for himself!

But, John, if the bird is not an albino (and it he has blue, it's not), the cere should tell you. If it's lilac or blue, you have a male - sometimes, it's a very, very pale hue and, sometimes, you can only see the color around the edges but it's there. Having said that, I did have two sisters that were almost identical that had blue ceres during the non-breeding season but, come spring, they would turn brown. I don't know why they were different than other budgies but they were! Oh, another piece of info on this: when males have a completely screwed up endocrine system and become sick, they can get a brown cere, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:18 am

Pajarita, It wasnt that they fought. They never did fight but the problem was joey loved bertie but bertie was scared of joey but he absolutely loved living by joey side by side in seperate cages but not in the same one.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 am

Yes, sometimes, when a bird is used to being by himself, they can get intimidated by the attentions of another one but a slow and gradual introduction works -especially if you wait until the winter to put them together for good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Species