Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun Conure gets aggressive when you let him have a box/bag

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Sun Conure gets aggressive when you let him have a box/bag

Postby metfan23 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 am

I have a male sun conure. He's cool. We typically get along great. He likes when you give him your empty cereal boxes so he can play in them, but when ever I let him have the box for an extended period of time he gets aggressive. He doesn't actually bite me or hurt me at all, he's actually quite nice for what I typically hear about sun conures, he just wont let me touch him and gets all angry if you go near him and his box/bag.

Question 1: Why is he so aggressive about his boxes/bags
Question 2: Why this birb make a scream soooo loud
metfan23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Sun Conure gets aggressive when you let him have a box/bag

Postby liz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:30 am

The box is his. You gave it to him and he is just protecting it so you won't take it away. My Rainbow knows that he gets a new one when his is too chewed up and gets excited when I take it away. At 32 she is more knowledgable of why things are done.

Could it be hormonal?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 pm

All my birds get very excited when they get a paper bag and it's best to be cautious when there playing with one. Even the rattling of paper gets them uncontrollably excited. As far as the box it represents a nesting area or a place to hide and controll. I have never had a parrot that doesn't get protective over there beloved boxs. :lol: AND I LEARNED THAT LESSON THE HARD WAY.!! :shock:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, the box is a nest and he is protecting it. It sounds as if your bird is hormonal -which is OK for this time of the year but it should start waning in another two weeks or so now that the days are getting shorter. My unpaired (without a mate) birds don't actually protect nests so I would recommend you re-evaluate his light schedule and diet. I have a female sun conure and she gets very mushy during breeding season so, actually, she acts the opposite of your bird because she WANTS me to touch her during breeding season much more than the rest of the year.

Why do they scream so loudly? Because they are sun conures! :lol: It's the way they vocalize. Some parrots are louder than others and sun conures, jendays, sundays and quakers tend to be not only pretty loud but also seem to enjoy screaming just for the fun of it. My Sunny doesn't scream much but she has this habit of making a KREE KREE KREE KREE sound NON-STOP when she is on my shoulder that sometimes drives me nuts so I tell her to shush and she does it :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby metfan23 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 am

I don't really know exactly how old the bird is. He can't be older than 15. I'm no bird expert and I don't know how birds do puberty and stuff. He's always kind of a mean bird. He only likes a couple of people and he's really always slightly aggressive. Especially towards new faces or forgotten faces.

He likes me however and that's I all I need and he's a cool one owner bird if he gets all of his attention. Maybe that's just how his kind is.
metfan23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 pm

No, they are not like that at all. I've had three sun conures, one jenday and one sunday and they were all super sweet birds - my Sunny never ever bites. Do you keep him at a solar schedule with exposure of, at least, 1.5 hour of dawn and dusk light? Because, in reality, parrots are normally only aggressive when they are overly hormonal and that's not only out of sexual frustration but also physical pain (their gonads grow too much and they displace other internal organs which causes them chronic pain).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care