Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

2 more adoptions today! A yellow, scaly breasted Lory, and a Green naped lory. The green naped had lost his mate and hated everyone and everything until he saw this woman this morning. It's so great to see a bird find its right person.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:26 pm

YAAAAYYYYY!!! Wonderful news!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I had named the yellow scaly one Pacino. He was in a cage with several other scalys, 6 total, I think, both green and yellow. One day one of our core volunteers was opening up and she found him being attacked by the other birds, he was bleeding from a big cut on his head. She scooped him up and found another cage for him. He had a big, nastily looking black scar on his head for a while, so I named him "scar face." At some point I decided to soften it a bit and started calling him Pacino.

We never want people to change a bird's name, but in this case I told the woman that he didn't really know his name and she was free to change it. She liked it and decided to keep it, so the contract reads "Pacino." The plucked green naped was unnamed. We simply called them the plucked rainbows. When one died, the other became, the little plucked one who lost his mate.

I gave a lot of the Weston birds names, but it's just a way to keep track of them. A pair of green nape lorries are "the cage 6 birds." They have moved out of cage six, cage six sucked and was thrown away as soon as we were able to do it, but they're still the cage six birds. (I have tried to get Russel and Rose to stick for them. Bill Russel was #6, and his first wife was Rose, but mostly they're still the cage six birds).

There is one scaly who is called Bananapeel by some, and Floopie by others. You're also free to call him that little pain in the ass, because he constantly escapes and is impossible to catch. He also likes to fly at your face and bite your lips. His cage has to be opened to give him nectar, which means he has several chances to escape each day as nectar is filled and refilled throughout the day. I don't even try to catch him anymore. He is in a room with all lorries, and they have such a weak bite I figure he can't lose a toe like he could if he were flying around a room of Parrots that were birds and not butterflies.

The Dubenvoe Lory is simply called Duby. We started with four. The other three died. It's so sad, but the necropsy always shows that it's long term stuff. Bad diet, malnutrition; the bodies just wear out.

I've really come to love the Lorries. Having a room full of lorries is a full time job for at least one person. They are VERY labor intensive, and they have been expensive to keep. And you pretty much need to get them a stainless steel cage or plan on getting them a new one every year. And nectar is expensive and should only be left out a few hours, but they have to have it all day, so you're pretty much a slave to feeding them. But it's okay, you'd be home all day cleaning cages and scrubbing walls, floors, and ceilings...yes ceilings. But they're super sweet, and funny, and so so beautiful.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:48 pm

We had one lovebird who would escape and attack so much, that he got a not very nice nickname. He was named after the last part of your body that your digested food touches on the way out. As much of a pain as he was, that can't be a name. So I decided to call him Angus. Angus is a close as you can acceptably come to Anus. (Sorry to anyone apnamed Angus)

Angus suddenly wanted to be held one day. They knew that was a bad sign. Our vet was on the way in, so they held him and tried to give him some fluids, but he died. And yes, we all miss him, even though he was the bane of the existence of anyone working in the Amazon room (no longer filled with Amazons. It's just a legacy name at this point.)

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Here is a picture of Pacino. You can still see the scar.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Pajarita wrote:Ohhhhh, turacos are BEAUTIFUL! Which kind did you have?

I found a picture of one.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 pm

We have a lot of Amazons, but we had only one Yellow Nape. Forbes went home today!

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 am

GOD bless you for your good works.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:06 am

liz wrote:GOD bless you for your good works.

Thanks Liz
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 am

Oh, wow, it must have been so heartbreaking when so many of the rescued birds kept on dying! I well know how that is! The thing is that you know it's touch and go but, the heart being as it is, one ALWAYS has the hope that 'this time' they are going to make it but the greatest majority of them don't... and even the ones that do, have problems that will, eventually, kill them before their time.

I meant to ask you, there was no home inspection for the touracos? I mean, how do you do an adoption to so far away?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic