Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reasons for choosing a bird as a pet

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Reasons for choosing a bird as a pet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

This list is so WRONG is actually funny! I'll let you read it and reach your own conclusion (mine is that the author has NEVER had a parrot in his/her life!)

http://www.getwhatever.com/bird-pet-sho ... rd-as-pet/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Reasons for choosing a bird as a pet

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Yeah, right! Parrots easy to care for? Sure they don't require much grooming, but they need a huge cage, lots of the right toys and perches, proper diet (NOT just seeds and pellets!), four hours of interaction a day, they need to be fully flighted AND many people also advocate a solar schedule! Plus they need lots of love and attention as well. ONLY choose a bird as a pet if you understand everything they need, and are willing to provide that as well as finding an avian vet, finding someone to give them proper care while you travel, and if you don't give them enough interaction, they start screaming, calling, biting, and plucking! I think parrots make wonderful pets, but ONLY for the right people who are willing to give them proper care! If someone is looking for a "low maintenance" pet (no pet is really low maintenance) they should consider a hamster, guinea pig, lizard, fish, etc.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:58 am

Exactly!!! Of all the animals I've had, parrots are the highest maintenance AND the ones I worry about ALL THE TIME! I don't worry about the care I give the dogs or the cats because I KNOW it's good but not the parrots... Because, even though I try much harder with them and work four times as much as I do with the dogs and cats, I always feel that I am not doing enough!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 pm

I dont consider them a pet at all. But, a dedicated choice, in it for the long haul, out of compassion, purpose...and even pride.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 am

They are not pets but feathered children.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am

I also don't consider them pets -but then, I kind of hate the word and don't really like it for any companion animal- but I don't consider them children, either. Oh, I might call myself their 'mama' but it's just a name and not because I really consider them my children...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care