Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reactions to Switched Pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Reactions to Switched Pellets

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:41 pm

ZuPreem Natural really isn't the best pellet out there... very low quality. At least it's better than the Fruitblend. I use Harrison's and TOP's. TOP's are the best pellet out there, though. Harrison's is organic so is a much better option if your parrot refuses the TOP's. Just don't give them the Harrison's High Potency. Mine eat a mixture of both Harrison's Adult Lifetime and TOP's. Also try giving your bird a gloop mix made of cooked whole grains, frozen veggies, and seeds like chia, flax, and sesame. And fresh produce as well. The thing is, you don't actually need to feed your bird any pellets at all if they get a balanced diet with gloop, fresh produce, and some good seeds. I just use the pellets as a supplement to their healthy diet with gloop and fresh greens. Pajarita would agree with me on this.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby PatrickAlan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

I don't care what the BEST pellets are out there. My bird won't eat them. She will eat Zupreem Natural. Don't know what else to say. I'm very happy that you and many others have birds that will eat TOPS pellets. That's great. I threw mine out in the garbage, as my bird would not touch them.
Zupreem pellets have been recommended to me by many bird owners. And there ya have it.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a 50 lb bag of tops turning to dust in my freezer that most of the birds wouldn't touch so I use it in the bird bread. They too prefer the zupreme but don't eat much for pellets anymore as they get 2 fresh meals daily. There's always going to be the great debate on foods but you know your own bird and if the bird is healthy and happy then that's what counts. I just try to do the best I can and sometimes I know it's not good enough but tomorrow is another day. I get sick and tired of the debate as I have many birds and new ones coming in all the time so I am continuously trying to get diets straightened out. But one things for sure even if they don't know what chop is eventually they WILL eat it , but some have taken me months to get them to eat it using every dirty trick in the book. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:18 am

The beef I have with Zupreem is that they use soy and sugar in their pellets, two things that are a complete no-no in my book. Harrison's also has soy.

I have tried to get my birds to eat Tops... not because I ever plan on using them on a daily basis but because, simply, one never knows what could happen and it's always good to have something the birds will eat in pinch aside from nuts and seeds. None of my birds will touch any pellet... but let them spy a dish with cat dry food -which look EXACTLY like a small pellet!- and they will dive into it!

And Trick, the thing about feeding 'natural' -gloop, chop, seeds. nuts, etc- is that unless your bird is exposed directly to sunshine very regularly, you have to also give them a vitamin/mineral supplement because none of these things have any vit D3. I was using ABBA's but I am now using Vetafarm Soluvite D because, although it also has vitamins and minerals in it, it has more vit D3 than anything else and that's about the only thing my parrots don't get in their diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 pm

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT THE BACK UP PLAN BEA ! Honestly I think in the long run exposing my birds to a wide variety of fresh foods , pellets , nuts , and seed is a good thing as then they understand it all is food in case I'm not here to cook for a few days. We all know that nobody will take care of our birds like we do and if by some chance you find some one that can and will , :thumbsup: there worth there weight in gold!
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 am

I rely on my husband and my kids... All of them are so used to seeing me feed the birds and have had to listened to sooooo many speeches about it that they have learned a bit. I think my husband could even make gloop on his own :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet