Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Postby sammy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 pm

I am curious about this.

Has anyone heard of parrots being Emotional Support Animals?
sammy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Postby Bird woman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Yes there are many parrots that are registered as therapy animals. NORTH WEST BIRD RESCUE HAS A PARROTS FOR PATRIOTS PROGRAM THAT MATCHES VETERNS UP WITH THE BIRDS AND MAY KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT REGISTERING YOUR BIRD. THERE OUT OF WASHINGTON. IM SURE DIFFERENT LAWS FOR DIFFERENT STATES . :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

Yes, I don't really wholly approve of the concept but there is such a thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 am

Why don't you approve of the concept?
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:51 am

Because a person who has an emotional or psychological problem severe enough to justify having an emotional support animal is usually a person who cannot take care of itself properly and, if the person cannot take care of itself, it stands to reason that it could not take care of an animal as difficult to keep healthy and happy as a parrot.

I have an ex-sister in law who is bipolar and, whenever she was 'down', she would spend entire days in bed, getting up only to go to the bathroom. My brother is the best father I've ever known without exception and he was always there for my nieces, as well as the rest of the family, so they never went without food, clean clothes, outings, birthday parties or anything at all but they both have issues and have been in therapy for years and years because of their mother's problem. People who use an animal as emotional support is a person who isn't getting it from a safety net of human beings so, if there is nobody else for the person, who is going to be there for the parrot when its owner is not there for them? It's not that I don't feel for these people because I do -I love my ex-sister in law and, every time I go back home, she comes to see me, we go out together, etc. and we also keep in touch through FB. I have no issue with eye-seeing dogs, animals for deaf people, quadriplegic or whatever but I don't think it's fair to the animal when it's used as an emotional clutch... Parrots need us to be there for them, not the other way around.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Okay, now I totally understand. Does that mean you don't support the use of any Emotional Support Animals, including dogs, or just parrots being used for that purpose?
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Support animals can be for a wide range of reasons and a multitude of phycological or physical problems. I welcome the use as long as the care taker understands and is able to take care of the responsibilities. I feel that it is the responsibility of the person that's providing the bird to monitor the situation at first and make sure it's a good match, after all with companion parrots it's a whole lot different than a dog. :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Okay, now I totally understand. Does that mean you don't support the use of any Emotional Support Animals, including dogs, or just parrots being used for that purpose?

IF (and that's a BIG 'if') the person needing the support lives in a household with members who are willing and able to provide for the animal, I have no problem with it. I don't think it should be a parrot because, usually, the ones that 'work out' as therapy animals are the larger species which bond with one single person so, if the person that 'needs' the animal is the one the animal bonds to (and the whole 'emotional support' would only work if this is the case) then the arrangement would not work out for the parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Bird woman wrote:Support animals can be for a wide range of reasons and a multitude of phycological or physical problems. I welcome the use as long as the care taker understands and is able to take care of the responsibilities. I feel that it is the responsibility of the person that's providing the bird to monitor the situation at first and make sure it's a good match, after all with companion parrots it's a whole lot different than a dog. :thumbsup:

I have no problem with animals helping with physical disabilities but I do have a problem with parrots being used as emotional support for people with psychological issues because despite monitoring and a 'good match', the parrot will always end up getting the short end of the stick and that's not fair. There is no two ways about it. We are talking about people who are, basically, unstable... I am not saying they are crazy or that they are inferior or defective in any way but these are people who cannot face the world on their own two feet, they need medication or they are sent into a tailspin by things that well-adjusted people overcome without a second thought... I don't know about anybody else here but I find caring for parrots VERY hard! It's a lot of work, a lot of planning, a lot of worrying and a lot of putting them first before me and, often, before the family and I really do not see a person who is emotionally fragile being able to do it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 am

I have a few dogs who give me emotional support. They are not trained and do it on their own. When Myrtle gets on my shoulder and tells me that I am a "pretty girl" while she plays with my hair it is so comforting. I try to hide my emotions from my critters so they do not get baggage from my problems.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to General & Off Topic