Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Macaw Injury

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Macaw Injury

Postby MarySol » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 am

Hello everyone,

Recently my green winged macaw fell from a chair and seems to have injured his foot. When I went to check on him he seemed to be walking fine but he would start walking backwards and seemingly clench the injured foot. He seems to climb his perch fine and scratches his head fine as well, but has started resting his weight on the foot thats not injured. What alarms me more is that he walks backwards when placed on the floor. Any inquiries of the seriousness of his injury? Anything will help thank you lots.
MarySol
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Macaw Injury

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 am

Hi, MarySol (one of my nieces is named Soledad, also :D) and sorry your baby got hurt. I never heard of an injury making a bird walk backward... It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense because, if the foot hurts, it would hurt whether it goes forward or backward, no? If there is no swelling and no noticeable limp, I would just leave it be because it can't be a bad sprain, a torn tendon or a broken bone as all those things would cause, if nothing else, that the bird doesn't put any weight on the foot -which yours is doing- so I would think that he just bruised it a bit. But, how come he fell so hard on his own foot? Because, normally, birds that lose their balance and fall down a ways would open their wings (kind of like a parachute)and, if they have any time at all, flap them. Even clipped birds do that - the only ones that don't are the ones that were clipped before they fledged and never used their wings at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet