Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 am

It is very hard for me to turn away a bird in need. I know that I cannot handle anymore than a cockatiel added. Another species would add so much more work. I claim to have a little dog, 2 Amazons and a FLOCK of Cockatiels. 11 do not cause any more work than 2 do since they eat and drink together and sleep on the same perches. (That is except for Gimpy who cannot perch.) I give Gimpy a platform on the outside of the cage even with the perches.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:35 am

Oh, I agree with you completely! But, for me to have tiels would mean another large flight cage, more birds poop all over the place and more birds to transport back home when we leave. And, if I add still another flight cage my husband will throw me and all the birds out the window :lol: As it is, I have been thinking and thinking how to get the cages out of the dining room and living room without upsetting the birds so I can have Thanksgiving in my house for the first time in years. Our daughter Nya was going to visit in September but I talked her into coming in November so the grandkids can experience Thanksgiving - which they never have and is, by far, my favorite holiday in the entire world! I used to do it every year but stopped because of the birds - mostly because I don't receive anybody during the winter because of the solar schedule.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:07 am

You with cockatiels would mean caring for another species. I am keeping to two species. I may have 11 cockatiels but they are all in one flock and can be cared for together. They keep each other company when I am too busy to interact with them.out
Yesterday the cockatiels wanted me to come into their room. They were hanging on the screen door and calling me. They are so cute. I love each one of them.
Tommy is needy since the upset with Tammy. He stays as close as he can to her but out of Shadow's way. I would like to find a Latino girl who needs me. It may help Tommy let go of Tammy. If not she would become just part of the flock. I don't have any Latinos right now.

It was really strange that when Tammy wanted to nest she changed back to Tommy and Shadow was odd man out. When she changed her mind about nesting she went back to Shadow. This is not healthy for Tommy and I wish he would take another mate. Tammy is a big flirt.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 am

This is exactly what I have been saying as I try to get someone to take all four budgies we have left. It's not much harder to care for four, than to care for one.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am

It's actually easier, John! Because all you need to do is feed, water, clean and monitor their health - you don't have to worry about stress, loneliness, foraging or plucking toys or having to spend a certain number of hours with them. But, aside from that, the truth is that anybody who truly loves the little ones should not need any 'convincing' to keep more than one because, if you love them, you already made it your business to find out what keeps them healthy and happy and you would be more than willing to do it. At least, that's the way I look at it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 am

I love how the new members who come in without birds. They have been reading up on them before they joined the forum. They also learn fast to rescue instead of buying. I have to praise these members.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

Indeed! I praise everybody who makes an effort in the fight against overpopulation and inadequate care! Adoption first, then good care!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 am

I had a down day yesterday. The five little dogs that stayed around my feet were nothing compared to Myrtle who would not get off. I would fling her off my shoulder then she would come back and hang on my back so I could not reach her. It made my day harder but they thought they were helping. Rainbow stayed on the counter to tell me stuff since he was not able to run around with all the dogs running around.

I feel better today and hope to catch up on some house work. I made messes yesterday and did not clean up behind me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 am

I give the dogs an oatmeal cookie at 3 pm each day as a treat. Chloe is so small she only gets a half. The Amazons know what cookies are so they beg for the other half. I give them a quarter each.
I forgot to put the cookies away yesterday. When I walked into the kitchen, Rainbow was walking across the counter with a whole cookie that was so big he had to be careful for it to not trip him. I was laughing so hard at such a sight that I did not stop her. She took her treasure to her water cup and dunked it. She ate half the cookie as it laid in a heap on the counter.

Rainbow is doing so good these days that I have to watch out for her like I had to do in NC. She really cannot be trusted because she is quiet and sneaky. It makes it a little harder for me but she is happy again and up to her old stuff.
She listens when I tell her to stop something. That is until my back is turned. I have even found her getting in trouble at my feet. There have been times that I had to keep putting her back on the top of her cage so I could finish something. She is getting down faster these day. She no longer jumps and splat on the floor. I walked into the dining room and watched her fly from the top of the cage and flew with a good landing on the floor. She is getting stronger. She is even back talking me like Myrtle.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 am

:lol: Yes, my birds know the word 'cookie' very well because I make them birdy cookies every now and then. But, hasn't Rainbow been with you for 15 years or so already so why is she only now getting strong enough to fly? Or am I mistaken?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care