Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Feed the birds with a twist!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Feed the birds with a twist!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

No, not pigeons, not sparrows, not chickens but wild IRNs in London!!!

http://ganching.typepad.com/ganching/20 ... ching.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Feed the birds with a twist!

Postby liz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am

Birds can survive almost any weather if they have enough food. Migrating birds do not migrate for warmth. They migrate to find their food.
I only hope that the escaped parrots are physically able to migrate with the flocks they join. One of my Cockatiels, Bubba, stayed around my house in NC but out of my reach. He had joined the Starling flock in my back yard. When the flock moved he went with it.

For a couple of weeks after moving in at my new house in Florida, I followed the calls of a cockatiel. I could hear him but he stayed in the top of trees so I could not see him. He was finding his own food and water but was not in a flock. He is still out there somewhere if a bird of prey did not get him.

When I finally counted my Cockatiels I found out that the bird I had been searching for was my Max. He somehow escaped when I was moving them in at night. He was really enjoying his freedom but stayed near by for quite a while.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am

You are absolutely right that birds migrate for food and not warmth but that doesn't change the fact that all animals evolve to 'match' their environment so nature already took into consideration that the bird migrating for food will be travelling South and will not be exposed to cold weather so it did not give it 'protection' against it. This means that, although they do not migrate to escape the cold, if they don't, they die.

IRNs make it in London because it doesn't really have super cold weather, the coldest months are January and February and the lowest temperature is between 36 and 39 degrees which usually only happen for a couple of hours or so during the night - islands always have milder weather than continents.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby dadj » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 pm

In my country (Greece) there are large wild populations of :irn: whose ansestors were captive birds that escaped. They are now considered a native species by the ornithological society. Below i provide an older (2007) study press release. I guess that the same holds for other European countries as well.

http://www.ornithologiki.gr/page_cn.php?aID=929
dadj
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: senegal parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am

Thank you so much for the link to the study! I had never seen it before and will save as reference for the future.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Tales