Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wild Parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Wild Parrot

Postby Sheils » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

Thnx for reply, Tiekie is molting but I have noticed that she does not want to bath like she use to and if she does she just climb in and get out immediately which means she does not wet herself like she use to, can I spray her with water or with feather spray? and can I sprinkle the multi vitamin powder over their food as I have read that we as bird owners does not know how much water our bird consume and therefor we don't know if they do get the vitamins in so I was just wondering if I can do that. Thnx again for advise
Sheils
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:52 am

:lol: Where did you read that putting vitamins in water doesn't work because we don't know if the bird will drink enough? I have been keeping birds [and putting vitamins in their water] for many, many years as well as reading and posting in bird sites and I have never heard such a thing. I know exactly how much water my birds drink. It depends on the species but they all have pretty much a set number of gulps and they all do it early in the morning and, sometimes, in the evening too. They are all prey animals so they are all crepuscular feeders and drinkers and, as such, are 'programmed' to drink at those times. Of course, if you feed your bird a diet that is nowhere near what nature meant for them to eat in terms of moisture [like pellets, for example], you will create an imbalance with the water intake but, usually, what happens is that the bird continues drinking pretty much the same amount it would drink if it was eating a 'normal' diet [meaning a wet one as they would do in the wild] and they end up have chronic mild dehydration all their lives which ends up affecting their kidneys and liver. And then there are the very smart ones that dunk all their dry food in the water.

Vitamins in the water are used exclusively with passerines because they are natural seed-eaters and do not normally consume soft -wet- food. Same thing with antibiotics or any other kind of medicine for them. It's pretty much the only way with passerines and it works perfectly [I've kept canaries for 50 years and have never had a single one develop a deficiency using the water method].

I use a powdered vitamin/mineral supplement in the gloop for the parrots but, when I first get a bird that has not been on a good diet, I use the ones in the water that I use for the canaries, finches, quails and cardinal because it takes too long to transition a parrot to a good diet and I want to 'replenish' the bird as soon as possible. I do this for a few weeks [it goes from two weeks to a couple of months, depending on the age, the length of time it has been on a bad diet and the health condition of the bird when I first get it] and then I start mixing the other kind in the gloop.

You can mix the vitamins with the soft food but, in all honesty, with new birds I find it easier to use the water soluble one in terms of accuracy of dosage because the vit/min supplements that go on the food are never specific as to the actual dose [they all tell you to sprinkle them on a pound of food or something like that but what, exactly, is a 'sprinkle'? a teaspoonful? half a teaspoonful? a quarter of a teaspoonful? an eight?] but the water soluble ones are very accurate: mine is half a teaspoonful in a gallon of water daily.

But, yes, by all means, put it on the soft food. And, yes, if the bird doesn't get stressed out by the spray bath, go ahead and do it - but use plain water, not any commercial spray.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Sheils » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

thnx Pajarita will do that, I must say with all your help from a very very wild bird Tiekie the wild one has calm down a lot. she takes food from me and allow me to walk pass her without been scared but still does not want to step up but it really doesn't matter to me like I say i take one day at a time with her, I bought them a new cage much bigger then the ones they are using now, they are so use to these two cages as i have build them a perch with them and they just love it, how do I go about introducing her to the new cage it will be delivered next week Thursday,I'm just scared Tiekie will stress and we are in the process of bonding and trusting each other and i don't want any negative things to come her way, please advise how to introduce her to the new cage i know Kiko will go onto the cage as soon as it arrives but not Tiekie although she does monkey see monkey do from kiko I still don't want her to stress when she see the new cage, please advise and thank you in advance.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 am

I've never had a problem putting them in new cages and all I do is simply put the cage next to the one they have for a couple of days [I don't put any food or anything in it but I do put perches and leave the door open]. When I see them perching on it, I start putting food inside the cage and, although I don't force them to go in or anything, eventually they do because they are curious. Once I see them going in on their own, I start putting them in it to eat their breakfast. My birds come out as soon as there is the merest bit of light on the sky, go back into the cage to eat their breakfast and then come out again so being in the new cage with the door closed means only half an hour in it. When I see them going in and out of it, I start putting them in the new cage for dinner and letting them sleep in it until the next morning. But, in truth, I do this only with the very new birds that have to be transitioned to a new cage before they had time to learn to trust me or bond with me... with the old ones, I just move everything from the old cage to the new and just put them there in one single day and they never mind it one bit!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sheils » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Thnx will do that. I know Kiko will go into the cage first time I won't have a problem with him it's Tiekie the wild one, so when she do go into the new cage must I close the cage? and let her stay in there for the day??? or must I just close it while she is eating her breakfast?and then open it again when she is finish eating? I know I'm a bit dump with Tiekie it's just I never had a wild bird before so this is strange to me and like I said I don't want her to stress as she is slowly building up a trust in me and I'm so happy to see that happen. thnx in advance.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 am

I would start with closing the door only during breakfast and allowing her to come out again after she eats and take it from there. With parrots, you have to observe them A LOT and learn their body language to see if they are comfortable or stressed out and, after that, you kind of go by your gut but, when in doubt, do it slower and more gradually because easy does it best with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Sheils » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 am

Hi Pajarita, new cage arrived guest what both of them got onto it immediately, now it seems like to me Tiekie is taking the upper hand of every thing coz I have spend extra time with her getting or still trying to get that wild out of her,she is improving allot.there are now three cages for both of them to play and eat and to do their own thing but tiekie is now all of a sudden very jealous over everything all cages food and you name it, now she chases Kiko off from the new cage as to say everything is hers so what I did and don't feel happy about it is I have separated the two of them i gave Tiekie the two cages and Kiko the new cage I'm just scared she will kill him when I'm not there. can you maybe explain why this behavior with her now? she use to be so scared when i got her now she wants to play boss. I 'm gonna have to keep them apart and she will never fight with him when I'm around. i want them to play and be friends, now they no longer together and I feel so unhappy but on the other hand scared something will happen.......
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Sheils » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 am

Hi Pajarita, just for a matter of interest I cook my birds veggies and they like it I have discovered that they also eat it raw so can I give all veggies raw or is there some veggies that needs to be cooked? and can I give them every day seed mix that I sprinkle over their food or should I only give them every other day seed mix, Tiekie is completely of sunflower seeds she only eats the chop and veggies and fruit I'm just a bit concern about the seeds that I give them every day. Please advise.
Sheils
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 am

My birds get very few cooked veggies... All the produce they get in the morning is raw with the exception of gourd veggies like Calabaza, pumpkin, spaghetti squash, etc - and corn which I do cook but barely [in Spanish, we would say we give them an 'hervor' which means you allow the water to boil for a minute and then turn off the heat]. In the gloop I use frozen veggies which I only allow to thaw right before they are served so they are not cooked although, when they thaw, they are much softer than raw but that's because freezing and thawing 'breaks' the 'walls' of the cells and the molecule kind of collapses. The only cooked veggies in the gloop are the sweet potatoes and the artichoke hearts, when I use them.

As to the seeds, I would use a budgie mix for dinner every night - but that depends on the amount of protein they get for breakfast every day. Mind you, you do need to supplement them with vitamins because they can't produce their own vit D3 when they are indoors.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Sheils » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Pajarita, it's been a long time just want to give you feedback on how Tiekie is doing. she is still wild but much progress, they are both eating their chop very well and both of them are very healthy due to the chop i introduce to them, no sunflower seeds at all. Tiekie started taking food from my hand and yesterday I got my first kiss from her but i must hide my hand she does not want to see my hands when she kisses me, at least there is progress, I cut my working hours so that i can spend more time with them ant it seems like it's working. I must say it's been a tough few months for me from the day I got her but i am still trying my best to get her to trust me enough to come to me out of her own. how long do you think it will still take for her to trust me completely?
Sheils
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training