Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this selfish?

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Is this selfish?

Postby JaydeParrot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

My sister has always told me to keep my birds away from her children saying they're disgusting, they poop, they're full of germs, e.t.c. I can't even go to her house cuz she says I'd have to keep my birds in the coal shed.

I came back home today to find out that she's been hiding a cat in the guest room whilst she stays.

I was very angry, my bird unfortuately has tested positive for bornavirus so doesn't have the greatest life expectancy. She's already told me to keep my animals away from her kids because she thinks they'll be infected by something. I'm an incredibly suicidal/depressive person whose only reason for wanting to stay alive is my animals and there's this total *** bringing over a cat.

It's not just that sge brought the cat it's the utter hypocracy she said my birds are hazardous to her children's health. One time when she was over with the kids and I was with them playing climb the trees she cornered me and said if anything happened to one of her kids she'd break my bird's wings (which she obviously denied when I mentioned it infront of others).

My bird's already unwell but everyone's saying I'm horrible and trying to tear the family apart just because I don't think it's fair that she can say and do what she likes and no one gives a damn about my birds.

I just wanted people's honest opnions on this?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this selfish?

Postby stevesjk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:58 pm

'they're disgusting, they poop and they're full of germs'... Who's she describing here? The birds or her kids?
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby JaydeParrot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:16 pm

She's describing my birds. As I say I wouldn't mind so much but she's been so unplesant about my birds, she's even threatened to break one of my birds wings if anything was to happen to her kids whilst I take care of them and then there she is bringing a bird eating machine into my home without even asking first.

Everyone's now saying I'm too blame as I got angry and said infront of everyone how overprotective she'd been with her kids yet didn't have the decency to respect my love of my animals. She reckons I looked so angry that she wants to go home and never visit again, so everyone's now calling 'me' a bully.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby stevesjk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Well shes obviously just got it in for your birds because if she was genuinely worried about her kids catching disease she wouldn't have gone out and bought a cat that hunts mice and rats.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby liz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 am

stevesjk wrote:'they're disgusting, they poop and they're full of germs'... Who's she describing here? The birds or her kids?

:lol: :lol:
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am

I don't know if you are asking if we think you are selfish or if the question is about your sister but it doesn't really matter. The question is whose house is this? Because if this is your parents' house and she is visiting them, then she can bring whatever animal she wants as long as your parents gave their permission. But, if this is your house, she had no business bringing an animal without your authorization. Plus, if the house is yours, I suggest you don't ever invite her again.

Now, if she is saying that birds are 'disgusting and full of germs' [the poop part is correct so I won't go into it] as a fact, she is wrong. Birds are actually very clean animals and there is only one disease that they can transmit to humans: chlamydiosis [aka psittacosis] but your birds don't have it because, if they did, the healthy one would have shown symptoms and the one with bornavirus would be dead. Children are much more dangerous to birds than birds would ever be to children -just as an FYI, my grandkids spend hours and hours with my birds all over the place and have never gotten anything from them because, basically, there is nothing they can get! But, if she is just saying that as an exaggeration and a means to illustrate her dislike of birds, I guess she can say whatever incorrect thing she wants because the issue is not facts but feelings.

I gather you don't like cats but cats are not 'bird-eating machines'. Not that cats are not dangerous to birds because they are! But I have nine cats and, in all the years that I have kept birds and cats together [at least 40], I've had one single bird killed by one: a canary whose cage was left on a table in one of the kids bedroom as we were moving into a new house and, although everybody was told NOT to leave the door open, my daughter Lara, who was sleeping in that room, did and the cat got in during the night and killed the canary. Needless to say, my screams, tears and scolding reinforced with a slap here and there as I ran around trying to rescue the poor thing made sure this was a mistake nobody in the house ever made again! And pet cats are lazy things that get their food regularly and are often too comfortable and well-fed to go around taking the trouble to hunting a bird so, if she is making sure the cat is kept inside the room and never allowed out, it should be OK for your birds -which I would make sure are only let out of their cages inside my own room.

Now, as to her children... well, I have to tell you that personally and as much as I enjoy children, I would not watch over your sister's or play with them. She has obvious 'issues' and it always pays to stay away from conflict with people like that - especially if it's family.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales