Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:04 am

She came to me as a pedestrian. I guess just was never allowed to fly when she should have been building muscle for it. She has been doing a lot of flapping in place to prepare for her flight. Feels so good when I see her make her short flights. I hope she can complete her strengthening and be able to fly like Myrtle. He resents the birds that do what he cannot.

Rainbow has a dry feet problem. I was using red palm oil on them but ran out. I put some olive oil on my fingers to put on her feet. She does not like her feet touched so she made a fuss about it. Myrtle thought I was hurting her and did a fly by to bite my ear and brought blood.

She can pick on her to make her scream but no one else is allowed to. She was trying to protect Rainbow. She is so fast that I did not have time to defend myself. I told her she was a bad bird and did not speak to her the rest of the day. At bed time she came to me to ask forgiveness. I am her whole life but even I cannot make her BFF cry without defending her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:48 am

Well, if she is now around 30 years old and she is only now beginning to fly, she will never be able to be any good at it BUT even not been good at it is still better than not flying at all so YAAAAYYYYY for Rainbow!

As to dry feet... well, Amazons get scaly skin on their feet and legs when they get old -especially if they eat too much protein- so it might not be actual dry skin but normal skin for a bird her age.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm

She flaps hard to get distance before landing. She can't fly up but is getting farther with each flight. I love it.
It is really bad when a bird can't fly. Phoenix is the one with the chopped wing. He can't fly so I spend extra time with him. He has started preening my hair.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 am

Yes, it always breaks my heart when a bird cannot fly - it's like a dog that is tied to a post and never let loose, a horse living in a stall all his life or a caged lion/tiger/etc. A real sad thing to behold... But, it seems to me that how the bird takes it depends on the species because the ones that do A LOT of climbing -like a cockatoo, for example- don't seem to mind too much - but the little ones, like tiels, lovies, plets, etc. must suffer all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am

We have an Amazon whose flight feathers don't grow in. It looks like he has been clipped, but he's been with us for 2 years and we never clip birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

Yes, Mami's tail feathers no longer grow, either...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 am

Navre wrote:We have an Amazon whose flight feathers don't grow in. It looks like he has been clipped, but he's been with us for 2 years and we never clip birds.

After having her many years, Rainbow finally grew flight feathers. She wants to use them and trys them out everyday. She can't get altitude but can now flap and fly farther than before with better landings.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 am

She had no primaries in her wings and after years of this, she finally grew them? That's soooo weird... I've never heard of something like that and, in all honesty, I did not think it could even happen - live and learn!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am

She had a really good molt the last two times. I was amazed to see the black feathers. The only thing I can think of is that my care changed whatever had stopped the wings. Anyway, she is a happier bird with more confidence.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

Oh, I am SURE of that, Liz! Having the ability to fly is, by far, the one thing that gives a bird the most confidence!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care