Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pumpkin seeds and garbonzo beans

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pumpkin seeds and garbonzo beans

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Both of my poicephalus parrots love pumpkin seeds and garbonzo beans. How many are too many? For example, sunflower seeds as opposed to pumpkin seeds? I rarely if even ever give them sunflower seeds now. While im at it, same question for peanuts. My jardine wont eat his veggie and fruit baby food mix, unless i add about a quarter teaspoon of salt/sugar free peanut butter. This is on top of his two almonds or two walnut halves in the morning. But, most importantly: pumpkin seeds andgarbonzo beans as a treat. Good? Bad? How much? Thank you!!!!
As always, you can view my birds on Instagram@ dana.berki
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Pumpkin seeds and garbonzo beans

Postby liz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm

There are pumpkin seeds in the mixed seeds. I take the peanuts out. I let them pick their own pistachio nut at 8 every morning. They get to pick an almond at bed time. Those are the only nuts they get on a regular schedule. I sometimes give them a fourth of walnut in the afternoon if they complain that the dogs got treats and they didn't.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am

I no longer feed my birds garbanzo beans because they are very high in oxalates and I avoid feeding them anything that is high in them. Pumpkin seeds are good in many things but they are not better than sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are the tiniest bit higher in oil but they are also higher in phytosterols while pumpkin seeds are higher in protein and lower in fiber. But the reason why I don't feed my birds pumpkin seeds is that they are super high in iron [almost half the seed is iron!].

As to peanut butter... well, my birds never get any. They get, every now and then, a peanut as a special treat but no peanut butter although I eat it every day for lunch - I just don't think it's healthy enough for them. The one you are using is lower in sugar and much, much lower in salt -which is very good- but the fat, the protein and the calories are pretty much the same. The thing about peanut butter is that is not really THAT nutritive to begin with. It's good for people because of the omega 3 in it but it really has very little nutrition in terms of vitamins and minerals...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Too bad about the garbonzo beans. I love to see them eat anything new.
Ill give pumpkin seeds less. When i do, its never more than 3 a day.
The peanut butter i use says 0 salt or sugar.
((Its nutritional for wild birds.))
A quarter tsp. Is too much, eh?
He won't like that! Ill try and cut it a little.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Becareful, btw, with having parrots around dogs and cats. I read that a scratch or bite can be toxic and fatal.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am

There is such a thing as cat-scratch fever [I had it] but my cats don't have the bacteria that causes it and they never get fleas PLUS they are never loose when the birds are. In any case, it's treated with antibiotics and, in reality, humans normally carry more harmful bacteria (e coli coming immediately to mind] to birds than cats do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet