Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:32 am

Pajarita wrote:She had no primaries in her wings and after years of this, she finally grew them? That's soooo weird... I've never heard of something like that and, in all honesty, I did not think it could even happen - live and learn!

There is nothing normal about my little beings. Myrtle has been mean and knocked Rainbows card board box off the top of the cage with him in it. Myrtle claims Rainbow as hers. Even though she picks on Rainbow she will defend him when he has problems. Myrtle zoomed in and defended Rainbow from a Boxer puppy who was following too close. When I was putting coconut oil on his scaly feet he cried out and Myrtle flew past me and bit me on the way to make me let go of Rainbow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 am

Since Rainbow knows he can land instead of crashing she is doing much more flying down. The little bird that came to me with no toys is now feeling good about herself and has been playing with toys. Her favorite toy is a dog toy. It is a ball within a ball and a bell in the middle.
She climbs into my bedroom window and makes noises which mean "open the window". She loves the fresh air and the excitement of seeing things. She has been trying to call the neighbors dogs.
She has so much more confidence now that she knows she can fly off of things instead of have to climb down. She has really blossomed this year.

For some reason when I tell they guy with the cockatiel how much freedom they have he changes is mind and backs out. I think he thinks the bird is happy to be alone with human contact. We were making arrangement for me to go get him and the man changed his mind again. I am afraid that the bird could be rehomed then rehomed again like so many others.
So many of my birds came to me with no names. They had been past around so much that no one remembered their names.
I fear for this little bird. I have invited him to view theparrotforum but as of yet has not. I have been stressing on this little boy way too much when there is really nothing I can do to help him with out the 80+ man giving him up.

Myrtle has gotten more full of herself and believes she is in charge. She punishes me with a bite when she thinks I am doing wrong. I don't know how to fix this. It has become so common for her to be on me that I forgot she was there and walked into the cockatiel room. She loves the "baby birds" and no longer scare them.

Jackie has been giving me kisses. When I go in the room she comes to me as close as she can and asks for kisses. Of course she is still afraid of my hands.
Gimpy has been hanging on the protective wire that is over the window. His whole weight is on his one twisted leg. I think it is starting to straighten. If it does he will be able to perch like the others.
Phoenix has been the first one coming to me for a while now. When I go in to change foods he gets first bites. He has come close to kissing me but not quite touches.
They learned kisses by watching Tommy kiss me.
Flutter has changed from being a bachelor always getting in trouble. He stays right beside Lacy now. He no longer flies away when I get close.
Maggie has finally give in completely and Andy is with her all the time. He worked hard to be able to get close. She was the breeder bird who would not take another mate when hers died is how I got her. She seems pleased now to have the attention that Andy gives her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:50 am

Very good update, Liz! It seems that although there are a few snags here and there [Myrtle biting you and such], everything is going very well -especially with the cockatiels, right?

I know that it's going to be hard and, possibly, impossible for you to do but do try to get over the cockatiel that you cannot help. Some people really don't care about the bird itself but what they get out of the poor thing being there and no amount of talking is going to convince them to change their ways because you are either an animal lover or you are not - and that's all there is to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am

We have made arrangement to meet at a McDonalds in his area. I will probably pick up Sky on Saturday. These people are old and I don't want them to try to drive half way.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 am

liz wrote:We have made arrangement to meet at a McDonalds in his area. I will probably pick up Sky on Saturday. These people are old and I don't want them to try to drive half way.

Good luck!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 am

GREAT!!!! Let us know how it goes!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 am

I told him that I could be there at 4 pm on Saturday. He went back to sitting on the fence. I have no idea what he could be thinking.

I was laying on my bed watching TV when I heard "woo hoo woo hoo". Rainbow found the space under my head board.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 am

His last email said that he will keep Sky. I don't know what is in his mind. He and his wife are in there 80s. I guess he is tired of the work involved but can't give up his little being.

I have sent him the link to theparrotforum a few times but don't think he has looked us up.

Rachel set her herbal tea on the counter. I feed Rainbow and Myrtle on the counter right now. You guessed it. Myrtle did taste testing and Rainbow was on her way.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 am

:lol: They all LOVE anything warm, especially drinks, don't they? I have to fight mine for my cup of tea every time!

Too bad about the lone tiel and the old people. I think that birds are the animals most widely used as personal entertainment by people who really have no business keeping them - with the consequent suffering this causes them, poor things! You did your best, Liz...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:36 am

liz wrote:His last email said that he will keep Sky. I don't know what is in his mind. He and his wife are in there 80s. I guess he is tired of the work involved but can't give up his little being.

I have sent him the link to theparrotforum a few times but don't think he has looked us up.

Rachel set her herbal tea on the counter. I feed Rainbow and Myrtle on the counter right now. You guessed it. Myrtle did taste testing and Rainbow was on her way.

They could change their mind and maybe you will have Sky in a little while. Sunny will taste test, i have to be watching every second if i have a hot drink. Gaugan wont taste test ever. I think she figures if it is for her i will offer it.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care