Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fit or fat?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Fit or fat?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am

This is a very good article on the subject because, although it talks about all pets, it has a pretty comprehensive and long section about parrots, even down to explaining how to tell!

http://www.coastalview.com/opinion/fit- ... 97779.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Fit or fat?

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Its not easy to keep up with and entertain certain parrots. But, if parrot keepers are obese themselves, theyre probablly more than likely to extend their habits to their pets, sorry to say.
Ive even finally am beginning to look more closely at mines sugar intake. Since recently, im monitoring and cutting mine.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:43 am

Parrots should never consume sucrose but fructose is fine as long as it's not concentrated.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:53 pm

DanaandPod wrote:Its not easy to keep up with and entertain certain parrots. But, if parrot keepers are obese themselves, theyre probablly more than likely to extend their habits to their pets, sorry to say.
Ive even finally am beginning to look more closely at mines sugar intake. Since recently, im monitoring and cutting mine.

What is the basis of your information on fat people, fat birds? Do you have research or you just assuming.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby DanaandPod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 pm

"More than likely."
Though, I am extending the researched working values of humans onto avian keeping.
You have to be what you preach. Healthy and healthy minded parront. Healthy parrot.
If my healthy-wise eating habit convictionsconvictions are offensive or against forum rules, feel free to remove them/alert the authorities/ignore them. Etc.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Well, I am afraid that your rule doesn't quite apply to everybody because I eat garbage compared to my animals diets. But it is true that obese people tend to have obese children AND obese dogs and cats so I would assume that this tendency works for birds, also. After all, if one's snack is pretzels, one would offer a pretzel to his/her bird instead of getting up and getting a carrot stick from the fridge - I would think.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Rmoses » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Dang, RobertO, you are too fat to fly, I thought it was the wing some idiot clipped while you were away.
BTW all you opinionated folks, some people are obese because they over eat and not necessarily bad food. It is dangerous to pre judge people you know nothing about. think that´s where the term prejudice comes from.
So what I've gotten from this forum lately is that old fat people shouldn't have birds because they will make the birds fat. :lol: :thumbsup:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 am

Well, I am no expert on obesity but it seems to me that all obese people overeat and not just some :lol: And I seriously doubt that overeating salad will make you fat...

But, the fact that USA has a problem with obesity both in people [adults and children] and pets it's not a matter of being judgmental or opinionated, it is supported by studies.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/fat-cat-fat ... too-319900

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... finds.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 80971.html

Now, I repeat, not everybody is the same. I do NOT eat well but my animals all do. They eat good quality, healthy food and I make sure they don't overeat, either. And it's not because I am not overweight because my husband is not either but he overfeeds the animals if given half a chance! I have to constantly check his study because that's also the 'cat room' where they have their condos, tunnels, cubes, toys, etc and where they eat their breakfast and he will always try to give them more food for during the day claiming it makes them 'happy' :roll:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet