Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

London's parakeets

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

London's parakeets

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 am

Very nice article that tells you pretty much everything about the feral IRNs in London but what I liked best was the picture of the guy in a suit, and obviously on his way to work, with three IRNs on him eating from the apple he had gotten them. I was also greatly surprised to find out they had counted 8,600 breeding pairs - WOW!

https://londonist.com/london/great-outd ... ed-to-know
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: London's parakeets

Postby liz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am

This shows how wild birds will tame themselves and trust humans.

I helped Phoenix with hand feeding Louise and held her when she was not yet able to fly. Once she could fly she went wild and does not trust me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am

Oh, I am sure she does, Liz! It's only that she is now a teenager and you know how they are...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

They can be found in other cities in the UK as well in large numbers, I do wonder what they are eating sometimes. There is something very strange about seeing a parakeet on a birdfeeder covered in snow.
Rick
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Well, it doesn't really snow that often or that much in London... they have pretty mild temperatures over there and that's the reason why the IRNs do so well.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Yes but like I said they aren't just in London, Liverpool for example is much farther north and the have a lot of parakeets and a lot of snow. It's still pretty amazing to me.
Rick
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby liz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:30 am

Birds that migrate are usually bug eaters. Seed eaters are fine in cold weather if they are well fed. I have seen some of them wintering in bird houses.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 am

You are correct, Liz, but IRNs are fruit eaters so it is amazing that they thrive without a whole lot of fruit to eat - not that they don't find any because they do! Remember the story about them destroying the grape crop in wineries?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Species