Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am

Liz hasn't been able to log in to post for a couple of days now... I sent two pms to Michael - let's hope the problem is fixed soon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 am

Thank you so much Pajarita. I am back and have really missed you all. I have been able to read just not post.

Other than talking as much as she used to Rainbow is back and having fun with his toys. He climbs up on the window sill to yell hello to any one or anything he sees. His appetite has really picked up too. I wonder what caused him to act like a baby getting into everything.
She just walked in to tell me she is ready for her morning pistachio. I love this little being so much.
Myrtle is driving me crazy. She is not only chewing on everything and arguing but she has started perching on cabinets and refrigerator. There are poop lines down the cabinets and refrigerator. I don't need the extra work.

The cockatiels are doing well. When I cleaned the room I took the ladder off the side of the cage and forgot to put it back up. Phoenix does not even try to fly down and went hungry for a couple days. When I realized and put it back on he came running. Poor think was going hungry. I have to start paying more attention. He did give me "what for" for not having the ladder in place.
Phoenix is usually first to the food with Gimpy landing in the middle of the food so all he has to do is turn around for more food.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 am

Ah, yes, you need to keep your eyes peeled with the handicapped ones! Pablo has platforms that I placed on their side hanging from another platform that is placed as it should be: horizontally so he can use them to climb up but, if he is on the bottom of the cage, I usually put the food there for him because the poor thing has such a hard time climbing with his bad feet. Mind you, this is something I only do for him because I don't believe in making things too easy for them but poor Pablo's life is sooooo very hard with his infirmities that he can use a little help.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 am

I don't know why I did not notice my error. Phoenix is usually the first one to waddle to the food tray with Gimpy right behind him.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

It happens, Liz - don't beat yourself over it, just make a mental note so you won't repeat the mistake again. I once forgot to give Pablo and Codee their dinner. I cleaned their platform [it has two magazines laid on it so he doesn't have to stand with his bad feet on a grate and, as they get all poopy nasty, I tear two pages of them and put them back so he is always standing on a clean sheet], checked the water to make sure it was clean and left the little plate with their dinner on top of the cage. I was upstairs in my bedroom when I heard both of them calling and calling which NEVER happens so I rushed downstairs to see what was wrong and saw the poor things had no food! But, if it hadn't been by the fact that they screamed for it, they would have gone to sleep without any food.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Every morning I get up, open the shades, cut up fruit, and add it to the gloop. I give it to all three birds, staring with Ocean, because ladies first. After the birds get their gloop, I always give Irwin his seed mix, with a few tops pellets, a few sunflower seeds, and a crushed-up nutriberry. If I forget to add his sunflower seeds, he makes a huge racket until he gets them. He doesn’t even always eat them. He can’t open them all, only the smaller ones, but he needs to see them or he gets upset.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 am

My Cockatiels start calling me a half hour before feeding time. I had been late a few times so they reminded me.
If I do not share my plate with Rainbow she will ask me "Is that good?" Myrtle will steal if I don't share. She has even tried taking the whole plate.
They may not even eat the food if I put some on their plate but mine is always good to beg for.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 am

:lol: Yes, they will eat anybody else's food before they eat their own - I guess the old 'the grass is always greener on the other side' works just as well for birds as it does for people!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:36 am

Myrtle is full of herself. She has been getting into trouble that I don't think other parrot do. She is opening kitchen cabinets and trashing the inside. She opened the over the county meds cabinet and scattered the bottles. She opened and scattered antihistamin pills. When I tell her she can't do something she will tell me NO and fly down to punish me with pinches.

Destruction is part of being a parrot. I can't let her go on with opening cabinets. When I was at my sons house she got in my cabinet and the door closed. She was calling for help and my aunt followed her sound. When she realized that Myrtle was in a cabinet Aunt Betty left her there. She body slammed the door with her body and finally got out.

I cannot let this go on. Ripping up cabinets is a lot to worry about but I can't let her get away with what she is doing. She needs to be humbled and I only know one way to do it. Can someone talk me out of trimming her wings.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 am

Rainbow yelled hello from the kitchen. It took me a while to find her. We have shelves with basket on them. I found her in a bottom basket. She could get in but not out. I had to fix the basket so she could go in and back out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care