Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird only eating seeds?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Bird only eating seeds?

Postby Waffles » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 pm

My Cockatiel only eats seeds. I've tried making the pellets softer by adding a bit of water, I've tried mixing it in with his seeds, and I just feel like he may start developing liver problems if I don't do something about this! I would really like to convert him to a 100% pellets, fruits and veggies diet, and have seeds as a treat. (since it is recommended)
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Bird only eating seeds?

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 pm

It's not as big a deal to get a cockatiel eating pellets. Most of the seed issues and pellet/diet requirements are for bigger parrots. Offer pellets and other healthy stuff but don't sweat it if the cockatiel eats mostly seeds.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird only eating seeds?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 am

Contrary to what most people believe, pellets are not the best dietary option for parrots. They are VERY convenient to the human owner but they are not the best thing for them to eat. And, when it comes to natural granivores [like cockatiels], seeds are not THAT bad as long as they get the right kind and that they eat lots of produce as well. But, your best bet for a healthy diet for your tiel is gloop. I feed it to ALL my parrots but, when it comes to birds like tiels, budgies, plets, all the grass keets, conures, etc. there is nothing that beats a nice gloop for breakfast with a bit of a good quality budgie mix for dinner during the winter and a cockatiel one for the warm weather months. I used to have a flock of over 30 cockatiels, all of them coming to me as adults, and all of them ate gloop the first day they were given it. Why? Because the grains cooked al dente resemble, taste and feel like what they evolved to eat in the wild! Try a simple one with only grains, sweet corn and baby peas and you'll see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet