Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Does Irwin ever come out of his cage? Because, if he does, you might want to let them both out at the same time and supervise... who knows? Stranger things have happened!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:17 am

Pajarita wrote:Does Irwin ever come out of his cage? Because, if he does, you might want to let them both out at the same time and supervise... who knows? Stranger things have happened!

He never comes out. I leave the door open sometimes, but he doesn't even seem to consider it.

He's been sleeping a lot during the day, lately. I've been keeping a close eye on him. He seems to be eating, but I am going to start weighing his food when I put it in and when I take it out.

I should weigh him, too, but it has never seemed to be worth the stress.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 am

All of Ocean's feathers have grown back. I'll never clip her again. She spent the morning flying around and trying to avoid being put back in the cage. She won't get out tomorrow so she has been out flying for the last 4 hours.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 am

Ahhhh, good for you and better still for Ocean! People don't realize how stressful and traumatic clipping is to a bird! They think of it as a solution when, in reality, they are making things worse for the animal...

Don't stress Irwin out by weighing him. I also would not bother weighing its food. All you have to do is look at the amount (and 'quality'] of poop he is producing, if it's a normal amount and quality, he is eating enough and not that sick. And, if you could grab him once a month of so and feel his chest, it should be enough to let you know how he is doing in terms of weight but don't worry if you can't. Just keep your eye on him. Birds will, just like people, feel under the weather a bit on occasion but, usually and also just like people, they fight whatever it is that makes them feel like that on their own. If you see anything out of the ordinary or if he continues to look 'down', give him antibiotics in his water. You can get doxy and even baytril for birds online http://www.allbirdproducts.com/bird_medication.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am

He has that malformed sternum, at least that's what we think it is just by palpation. We would need radiographs to know for sure, I guess, and it doesn't seem worth the stress. He was so close to starvation (his caagemate starved to death), that he likely has a deformity or injury that never healed properly.

He is able to fly now. He flies from on side of the cage to the other. Before he couldn't even do that.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 am

John, don't get impatient. It takes birds that have been in real bad shape many months and sometimes even years to climb their way up to 'good'. Just keep him as stress-free as you can make it as you have been doing. Birds do much better going the loooong way without stress than the short way with medicines, tests, etc. Not that I would not run to a vet if one of my birds was sick! But, in my personal opinion and experience, when it comes to making birds better after been in a terrible situation, vets tend to treat birds like mammals: visits, tests, medicines in their beaks, follow-ups, etc and, in truth, this ends up killing them sooner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Even trying to get a picture of Irwin freaks him out. He is just totally wild. I don’t know if he will ever calm down. The only time I can touch him is when it’s dark. He always sleeps on the holder for his chop bowl. It looks uncomfortable, but that’s where he goes. If I forget to take the bowl out before sunset, he will step onto my hand while I remove the bowl, and then he will step back onto the holder. It’s all done very slowly, in the dark, and he seems to have no idea it is happening.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Yes, they are quite vulnerable and still when they can't see. This was the reason why people used to recommend taking an untamed bird to a dark room to hold it - VERY bad advice, of course, as it was a form of flooding! Not what you are doing though - you are not really holding him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 am

Why are all humidifiers so horrible?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 am

:lol: What makes them 'horrible' in your eyes, John? They don't seem horrible to me... The only thing that bothers me is that little well they have up on top to put some sort of medicine in it - it catches all kinds of garbage and it's so hard to clean!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care