Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a Venta air washer that is horrible to clean and is always getting caked up with what I assume are mineral deposits. It isn’t bad if I can keep it clean. It disperses about 1.5 gallons a day into the air.

I also have a warm mist humidifier. It uses about as much power as the Hadron Collider, or the Las Vegas Strip. It has to be refilled about 3 times a day.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:33 pm

:lol: I don't know how much electricity mine uses but it's also a warm one [I don't like the cold ones even though they say they are better] and I only fill it up once a day in the morning - it doesn't last 24 hours but I don't like to leave things on in the parrot room at night so it works out just fine for me. As to the mineral deposits - YES! They are a pain in the neck to clean out!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 am

Nicky had pretty much stopped plucking, but last night, after dark, he got scared when a car pulled into the driveway.
I had to put a light on to let him find his way up to one of his sleeping perches.

This morning he was missing a bunch of feathers high up on his neck.

He just frightens so easily, and he takes so long to get over it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 am

Was the light suddenly shinning on his cage that did it? If it was, I suggest you start covering his cage once it's completely dark and he is fast asleep. I don't do it during the summer but, as soon as the weather turns chilly, I do - and they sleep much better in complete darkness. But grays that are high-strung are like that... any little thing affects them greatly and it takes forever and a day for them to get over it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 am

I think Nicky may have a problem with bread. His feather destructive behavior seems to get worse after he has a small piece of toast, hotdog roll, or pizza crust.

It’s hard to isolate one thing, but it’s simple enough to to remove these things and see if it helps.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

I really don't know about any of those things causing them to pluck because my birds never get any human food - well, that is not strictly true because Isis and Davy love to steal food from us and my husband has a soft spot for Isis so, whenever he is having his breakfast toast, she begs him for a piece and, unfortunately, she gets it!

But I will tell you that, in my personal experience, it's not a food allergy that makes them pluck. At least, if there is such a thing, I've never had a bird that has it. The pluckers I've had did it for psychological reasons or just plain force of habit after doing it for years and years - but even those get better. Linus only has the middle of his chest plucked now whereas, when he first came to me, you could see skin all over his body: back, neck, wings, chest, belly, sides, etc. He still barbers his primaries something terrible but it seems that he is beginning to allow more contours and down to remain so I haven't lost hope that he will, one day, look a bit more 'normal' :D .
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 am

Ocean has totally stopped plucking and is completely flighted again. It think I clipped her in July (I'll never do that again) and nit only took her a few months to get flighted again.

Nicky still makes this horrible screech to get Ocean to fly. I guess it entertains him. She responds to it about 85% of the time now. She still flies off in a panic, but rarely into the windows or walls now. She tends to stay more in control.

My idea for the screech of Nicky's is to go stand near his cage when he does it. Since he doesn't like me, maybe it will make it stop.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 am

Well, you can try it but, personally, unless they are actually fighting [and by that I mean when they roll around together as if they were wrestling and trying to bite each other], I don't usually intervene - well, physically, that is, I do tell them 'NO!' and 'Be nice!' I think that it's better for animals to resolve their 'interpersonal' issues on their UNLESS one is bullying another constantly in which case, even if they are not even physically touching, I do intervene. For example, the amazons have taken to kind of bullying Sophie off her platform. They have their big cage, their own platform and nice branches to perch and climb on but, lately, they go on Sophie's platform and walk on it together, side by side, forcing her to back up and, when she gets to the end of it, fly off so I've been making them move back on their platform.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 am

Has anyone ever used TOPS Napoleon Seed MIx? I’m currently using Dr Harvey’s Parakeet blend for my Hooded Parrot, Irwin.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:03 pm

No, I only use ABBA.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care