Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chico

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Chico

Postby Mubashar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 am

Hi all
I got a indian ring neck arrived yesterday at his new home.

And i was hoping if somebody could help me.
He is not eating at all he only had 2 sips off water.

I have offered seeds fruit veg but it it dosnt look intrested at all.

Its almost 20hour in the house.

Please advise.
Mubashar
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian green neck
Flight: Yes

Re: Chico

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am

If we are talking about a baby, you need to handfeed it because it's very common for them to regress when moved to a new home. Also, offer two different kinds of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day [once in the early morning and again when the sun is halfway down to the horizon in the afternoon]. Put the cage up high so his roosting perch is at your eye level and do NOT stare at him. Cover the back of the cage and half the sides with some sort of material [these two things will make him feel safe]. Do not try to interact physically [a bird which doesn't eat is either a VERY sick bird or one that is terrified], just sit a distance from him, not looking at him, and talk softly, sing, whistle to him but do not stick your hand in his cage. Please don't wait, birds cannot go without food for very long because they have a very fast metabolism.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mubashar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Pajarita wrote:If we are talking about a baby, you need to handfeed it because it's very common for them to regress when moved to a new home. Also, offer two different kinds of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day [once in the early morning and again when the sun is halfway down to the horizon in the afternoon]. Put the cage up high so his roosting perch is at your eye level and do NOT stare at him. Cover the back of the cage and half the sides with some sort of material [these two things will make him feel safe]. Do not try to interact physically [a bird which doesn't eat is either a VERY sick bird or one that is terrified], just sit a distance from him, not looking at him, and talk softly, sing, whistle to him but do not stick your hand in his cage. Please don't wait, birds cannot go without food for very long because they have a very fast metabolism.
I have been told hes around 5 months old.
How can i handfeed him if i should not put my hand in the cage.
Im sorry the question mite be stupid.
Mubashar
Parakeet

Postby Mubashar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Mubashar wrote:
Pajarita wrote:If we are talking about a baby, you need to handfeed it because it's very common for them to regress when moved to a new home. Also, offer two different kinds of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day [once in the early morning and again when the sun is halfway down to the horizon in the afternoon]. Put the cage up high so his roosting perch is at your eye level and do NOT stare at him. Cover the back of the cage and half the sides with some sort of material [these two things will make him feel safe]. Do not try to interact physically [a bird which doesn't eat is either a VERY sick bird or one that is terrified], just sit a distance from him, not looking at him, and talk softly, sing, whistle to him but do not stick your hand in his cage. Please don't wait, birds cannot go without food for very long because they have a very fast metabolism.
I have been told hes around 5 months old.
How can i handfeed him if i should not put my hand in the cage.
Im sorry the question mite be stupid.

Nd the food that is handfed dos tht need to be with a sringe or spoon. Or do i just hold chico and food on my other hand.
They mite be very stupid questions but seller is not answering my calls so im a bit confused
Mubashar
Parakeet

Postby Mubashar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Thank you for your help chico is eating and drinking i think it was just scared.
:irn:
Mubashar
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 pm

I am sorry I did not answer last night -Holiday season makes my days super crazy. I am happy that he is now feeling more comfortable and eating and drinking but do give him the soft food, please. Parrot babies are like puppies, kittens and human babies, even when they are eating on their own, they still need to be fed special food and more often - for parrots, it's the warm, soft food given for breakfast and dinner.

And, as an FYI, when you have a handfed bird, it would always react positively to a syringe or a spoon with food [I prefer a syringe because you can put the food right into the lower beak so there is less chance of the bird choking or aspirating than with a spoon] and get close to the side of the cage where you are standing with it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mubashar » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 am

Thank you for your advice.

Hes eating fine i try to give him diffrent things hes fine with that.

Just an other question i dont thing hes hand tamed i think the person who sold it to me lied about it.

So whn i try to come near him hes too scared.

I want to hand tame him i want him to eat from my hand but will not let me close to him.

So what im doing is i just let him do what he want to do i talk to him and try to come close too him as much as i can but dont try to cach him i want him too give more time and confidence even if it takes months.

Im hoping he will trust me with time.
I only have him for 5 days now with loud kids in the house aswell.
Is there anything else i can do too to get his trust.
Mubashar
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Put his cage high enough that his roosting perch is at your eye level [parrots are all prey animals which only predator avoidance mechanism is flight so height means safety to them and they dislike being lower than our heads].

Place the cage in such a way that it is in front of a window [or to the side] but has a wall behind it. If you cannot do this, drape a material covering the back to simulate a wall [having a side covered means that no predators will come from it -again, makes the bird feel safer].

Keep him in a spot where there isn't a whole lot of human traffic [no screaming children running by his cage!] but where he can see and hear quiet human activity [but NEVER in the kitchen].

Never stare at the bird [only predators do that]. Look at him from the corner of your eye.

When you approach his cage, don't go in a straight line, always do it as if you were casually strolling and not as if the cage is your goal.

Sit as close to him as you can [see next paragraph] for as long as you can while calmly talking, singing, whistling for him - offer him a treat every now and then but, if he doesn't take it from your hand, just leave it within its reach and walk away [this is NOT a reward but a gift, a token of friendship].

The distance where you should sit is determined by the bird's reaction. Walk as close as the bird stays in the same place and, as soon as you see him moving back, stop and take a small step back - THAT's where you should sit and not closer than that [this distance will become shorter and shorter as time goes by]. Of course, you will need to get closer to clean his cage, feed and water him so do try to do it as quickly as possible and always let him know what you will be doing so he is prepared by using the same phrase over and over {I use "Excuse me - excuse me - excuse me" when I am reaching into their cages while they are in it but you can use whatever you want].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Mubashar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:15 am

Thank you very much this gives me alot more confidence .
I am already doing everything you have just mentioned but its appriciated that you have covered it with detail.

I wouls like to thank you a lot for help its much appriciated.

I hope i can have a healthy and a long relation with my chico.

A question just popped up chico is very quiet.
Is that just the trust factor and will he be ok with the time.

Because in 5 days i have him only heard him 3 times
And thats whn hes scared whn i go in his cage to clean.
Mubashar
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm

IRNs are not considered 'loud' parrots but, like everything else in life, this is relative as parrots are all very loud birds. Usually, young birds are quiet unless when really scared, at which time they will call in alarm instinctually. The reason for their quietness is that they are more vulnerable than adults and keeping quiet is a good strategy when there are predators around. What I can tell you is that a happy, healthy parrot would be 'chatty' in the periods when they usually interact with other birds in the wild: sunrise, sunset and after breakfast and before dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Introductions