Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pomegranates!!!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pomegranates!!!

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 am

These fruits are strictly seasonal and this is the time to get them and feed them to the birds as often as possible because they are not only super healthy but they ADORE them!

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/library ... protection
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Pomegranates!!!

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

If you don't mind the cage and nearby walls looking like a murder scene that will never wash off.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 am

:lol: Yes, the entire area will look like a murder scene and the poop will look as if the bird is bleeding internally but it does wash off! Another of the joys of living with parrots! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Which is the "healthy" part of the pomegranate? The juice or the seed?

Also, how are humans supposed to eat it? Swallow seeds or spit them out? I can't really get the hang of either.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 pm

I would assume that the seeds are no danger if you swallow them because they are so very tiny but, personally, what I do is pop a handful of arils in my mouth, munch on them until all the juice is out, swallow the juice and spit out the seeds - not very ladylike but then I don't eat them in public :lol:

The parrots pretty much eat the whole thing but, sometimes, I find a few 'skins' all crushed up on the floor.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet