Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Navre » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 am

My Grey likes to hide in such spots, too.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I think all parrots love little 'caves'. As to her saying Hello, you reminded me of something I saw yesterday. I had already done the birdroom but I had forgotten the broom inside and, if I leave it there, I find only a broom corpse in a matter of hours because Linus loves to chew the straw all the way to the stick. So I go in and Sophie is standing on top of the air purifier [she often perches there and, sometimes, she ends up turning it off with her feet, too], Linus was on top of his cage and promptly came down to approach me and, when Sophie saw him walking on the floor, she looked down as he walked by and said "Hello!" to him, to which he promptly replied "Hello!' I thought it was hilarious, they don't speak the same language so they were communicating in their second one: English!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 am

Nicky’s thing is paper bags. I guess maybe it’s Grey breeding time, because he is getting into and defending paper bags.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 am

When I brought Myrtle home, she was so pleased to find Rainbow. a bird that did not want to attack her. She would call out "hello" and Rainbow would answer. Myrtle did not have much in the way of words so she kept calling "hello" with Rainbow answering her each time. When Rainbow got tired of that game she asked "you got a problem?"

Phoenix has been using his wings to travel faster on the floor. I am considering trimming his other wing to make him more balanced.
When I go in to change food on Cockatiels, Phoenix is always the first. If I am not moving fast enough Phoenix will sit on my toes and wait. The next one to go to the food tray is Gimpy. He lands in the middle of the food tray. Tommy follows then the rest of the flock comes down. Yesterday someone was pulling my hair while I was changing food. She pulled my hair 3 times before I was fast enough to see who she was. It was Jackie. Walking in the Cockatiel room is like walking into a nursery school.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 am

I just LOVE cockatiels! I wish I could have a roomful of them, too! They are so pretty and so very sweet!
John, paper bags ARE little caves. But I don't know about it being their breeding season... Sophie is fine.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 am

Soda boxes are a great place to hide. The opening on these boxes work well at being an entry way. They are also large enough to swap eggs with fake ones. One little bird got past me last spring but I hope to do better this time.

At 5 am yesterday I heard a new voice singing in the Cockatiel room. Later that day I heard it again. I looked to see who it was. It was Gimpy sitting on top of the cage just singing like he invented singing.

Cockatiel meals are a set pattern now. Every one gets out of Phoenix way so he can be first to the feed tray. Tommy is next but Gimpy lands in the middle of the tray before Tommy gets there. All the while Jackie is either sitting on my head or flying by to grab my hair and pull it.
I have not seen a pattern with the rest. I just feel blessed that the less than perfect Cockatiels are asserting themselves.

I was using lunch bags to hold treats so they would not get pooped on. One day I looked at the Tiels and found a bag set up right with a yellow tail sticking out the top. Sweetie had gone in the bag and walked. It set up right and she could not get out. Another time I walked into the Tiel room and realized that I did not close the lid on the trash can. At a glance I knew to check for a Cockatiel in it.

I only have 6 fake eggs. With 3 pair I do not have enough and will have to order more.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:00 am

If I were you, I would not be putting anything that resembles a cavity in the tiel room, Liz. Your birds have a history of laying off-season and eliminating all potential nests will help.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 pm

I have not yet. I put fake eggs in the boxes so the Tiels will stop laying.
Louise came along because the Tiels were loose in my son's guest room. I could not see all the places that they hid.

There was one year when all I had was Tommy & Tammy and Shadow & Sweetie. I did not give them nests so they just claimed corners of the cage. That was the year of thievery. They were constantly stealing eggs from each other.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am

I have learned most of their voices. Sometimes they hang on the door and call me. All they want is some one on one time. I go to them and talk for a while and when they are ready they just fly back into the flock.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 pm

:lol: Yes, 'mothers' learn to recognize all their babies voices and cries.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care