Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am

We have a U2 who seems pretty well adjusted. No plucking, no screaming, just sweet talking. I Bink she was adopted from us 17 years ago. People get old. Birds outlive them. There isn’t much you can do about that.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am

No, there isn't. And I bet you a nickel against your dollar that the reason why Bink seems well-adjusted is that he was kept by old people - which means no busy social life, no working outside the house, no children, no divorce, no new husband/wife, etc and, pretty much, a boring, sedentary life which revolved around the bird. The ONLY problem that old people have is that the bird will always outlive them... I once met a woman over the internet who said that she didn't take good care of her birds on purpose [she smoked in the same room they were kept] so they would not last longer than her - needless to say, I did NOT like her!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Pajarita wrote:No, there isn't. And I bet you a nickel against your dollar that the reason why Bink seems well-adjusted is that he was kept by old people - which means no busy social life, no working outside the house, no children, no divorce, no new husband/wife, etc and, pretty much, a boring, sedentary life which revolved around the bird. The ONLY problem that old people have is that the bird will always outlive them... I once met a woman over the internet who said that she didn't take good care of her birds on purpose [she smoked in the same room they were kept] so they would not last longer than her - needless to say, I did NOT like her!

I was trying to figure out why you thought the bird's name was Bink. That's a typo that should have been "think." The bird is Crackers. I'm pretty sure she is a female. She has chocolate brown eyes rather than black.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

:lol: I sometimes don't re-read my postings and end up with weird stuff on them, too! Crackers it is and what a great name for a parrot!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:24 pm

https://youtu.be/bSaOzPFSwmM

I opened the shed today to find this. I think it’s a Yøung Cooper’s Hawk.

I have no idea how he got into the shed, or how long he had been in there. There was evidence of an eaten bird in there. Maybe he went in after the bird and the door got closed with him in there.

He flew out on his own, but he sat in a low tree for a long time.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

What humidity level should we be shooting for for parrots? The lory room gets too humid, and we have to put a dehumidifier in there or western to grow mold. I just don't know that exact level we should be trying for. I have ordered good humidity monitors. I'm figuring about 60% will be a good balance that will be okay for the birds but not destroy the room.

At home I struggle to keep the humidity above 50%. I run humidifiers, but they only do so much. I think the issue in the lory room is so many birds, so many cages, with nectar bowls, water bowls, and liquid poop everywhere.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Yes, all that and also a bit of lack of air circulation, no? Parrots require high humidity [75] but, unless you have a room that is dedicated to them, it's pretty impossible to keep in human living areas so what I do is spray the paper in the bottom tray twice a day and, as it evaporates, the humidity rises into the cage. It's not ideal but it's the best I can do without destroying my furniture, rugs, paintings, draperies, etc...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:16 pm

If anyone wants a shirt or sweatshirt, here is a link. It’s a new vendor so I don’t know what the shirts are like.

https://www.bonfire.com/ripr-logo-gear/ ... nt=default
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Added the hoodie to my Christmas list! I have to give my husband a detailed list or I end up with expensive stuff I don't like and never wear.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I don’t think that stuff will ship until some time in January. It’s a strange set-up. They take orders for 20 days and then ship everything st once.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic