Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Humidity levels

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Humidity levels

Postby Mo_Hillbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 am

Hey guys. I want to put a humidifier in Chewy's room. I need to know just how much to take the humidity level to. If it is higher than mid 50s then I need to paint the walls with a mold inhibiting paint. I have been taking her to the shower every other day but with the wood stove keeping the house nice and warm it has a tendency to dry everything out. It gets so dry, in fact, that I have to keep my guitars in a humidity controlled walk in closet. I understand that too dry an atmosphere can lead to respiratory problems no matter how often I clean up.
Mo_Hillbilly
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Humidity levels

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 am

Over 50%, for sure, but I doubt that will give you mold problems. The humidity is higher than that all summer here, and mold isn’t really a problem.

I think if you kept the room at 60% you will find that it’s okay for the bird, and okay as far as mold goes.

I’m running 2 humidifiers, but I struggle to get the humidity over 45%. The winter air is dry, and my heat, a forced hot water system, doesn’t add any humidity to the air. I wish I had one of the old steam systems. Those were great for getting humidity into the room.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am

Navre is correct. I keep my parrot room with high humidity during the winter and all the way up to the time when it gets hot and humid in the summer and I never had a single problem with the walls. The ideal humidity for tropical species is actually over 70 but parrots do OK with 60. Now, a word of caution, wood fires are not good for parrots [see this: https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health] so I suggest you get an extra large air purifier in the room where the fire is and keep him out of it as much as possible.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mo_Hillbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks.
Chewy's room is closed off from the main house and is heated electrically. I installed a flat screen television in her room, not just for her but because I spend a great deal of time in there. That is where her gym and the majority of her toys are kept. However, she does have a stand next to my recliner in the main living room (I will limit her time spent there when the wood stove is cranking out heat thank you for your input on that matter) but primarily we spend our time in her room.
Because her room is adjacent to the living room, in the Spring I plan to cut a hole between her room and the living room. I'll then build a 4' X 4' X 2' cage at the opening so she can come into the living room next to my recliner at will. Her room is 12' X 14' so I don't think I will have a problem raising the humidity level to whatever she needs. The actual dimensions of her cage is 8 X 10 to allow room to clean around the cage and keep her away from the walls.
One other question please. I am also planning to build a covered flight cage using chain link fencing outside her room with a lockable, spring loaded door leading out to it that I can teach her to open whenever she wants to spend time out there. I'm thinking about a 12' X 20 flight cage. My question is would there be a problem using chain link to build it? It would mean that the wire she would be climbing on would be at a 45 degree angle and not vertical and horizontal. I could hang the wire at the 45 degree but it would be a more challenging design. Of course she will have seasoned, dry branches (probably using hickory trees) bolted inside the cage but I know she will spend time climbing the cage walls as well.
Mo_Hillbilly
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Most chain link is galvanized, and that presents a problem for birds. The zinc is toxic. You can wipe it down with vingaer (I think that’s it), but you still have to make sure it doesn't ge chewed on. You will also have to make sure that the openings aren’t big enough for a head to get stuck.

You can get stainless steel stuff, if you strike oil or invested in Apple computers in the 80s. It’s really expensive.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am

:lol: Yes, you need to have a large disposable income in order to build a large aviary with stainless steel wire mesh! I have a friend who ordered it directly from China because even paying for the shipping was cheaper than buying it here but this was a number of years ago... In any case, the point is that, unless you are willing to change the chain link every few years, the galvanized one will not work out even if you wipe it with vinegar because it does degrade and rust and would end up giving her metal poisoning [cockatoos use their beak for climbing much more than other species, in my personal experience]. Also, I would suggest you consider putting mosquito screen on the outside of the aviary to prevent infected insects coming into the aviary. I would also not roof it completely, I would leave a side open to the sunshine. And don't forget to bury the wire at least 3 ft all around the perimeter so animals don't dig a tunnel under it [lots of predators would do that].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mo_Hillbilly » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 pm

OK. I have a friend who works at a powder coating shop. I asked him about using white (no color pigments and cooler when exposed to the sun) coating with 3 layers of clear coating on panels that I will build from channel iron and 1/2 " re-bar. If your not familiar with it re-bar is the long 1/2 " bars used to reinforce concrete. I can wipe it down to remove any impurities so it won't be prone to chipping and then he will mix white coating with extra polymer to make a very strong powder coating. He said it'll be much stronger than what is used on cars and bicycles and there should be no rust whatsoever. With my friend doing the work he can get it done for about $200 per 6 X 5 foot panel. The metal used to construct them will be very affordable (only about $6.00 per/20 foot bar. My outside flight cage will end up being approximately 18 foot by 12 foot by 10 foot in height. It will have a half roof made of heavy aluminum sheeting bolted to aluminum framing. That should offer plenty of room for Chewy to stretch out her wings. Don't you think? OH, the floor will be a concrete slab for easy cleaning and no predators will be able to dig in as everything will be bolted to the slab.
Mo_Hillbilly
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:16 am

Sounds great!!! I wonder why zoos and sanctuaries don't use this system for their outdoor aviaries...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Mo_Hillbilly » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:54 pm

I would think that it would probably be cost prohibitive if someone paid full price to have it constructed by a shop. I can do all the metal fabrication and concrete work myself, and my friend asked his employer if he could volunteer his labor to the project and work on it after hours. I have done welding for him from time to time over the years at a very reasonable cost so he told my friend that it I would only be charged for material at cost. When it comes together it should be just what Chewy needs. Thank you for the great advice you have given. Have a great New Year all of you.
Mo_Hillbilly
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 am

Thank you and same to you and yours!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Introductions