Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Managing a Solar Schedule

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Managing a Solar Schedule

Postby bosad44 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm

How can I manage a solar schedule if I'm keeping the bird cage in my bed room? considering that there's a window. My problem is that I'm not sure how can I prevent the light from entering the bird's cage during nighttime. What ideas do you guys have in order to manage these kind of problems?

thanks in advance.
bosad44
Lovebird

Flight: Yes

Re: Managing a Solar Schedule

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 am

If the bedroom is your only option, you'll have to get a really good cover.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 pm

John [Navre] is correct. All you need is good blinds [because, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there are always lights on the streets or cars passing by that would shine light on the cage] and a black-out cover large enough so you can 'tuck' it under to prevent light 'sneaking in'. You will also need headphones for your TV, if you, like me, like to watch it in bed, because although they do get used to the normal night noises in a household, TV programs or movies don't have 'normal' noises in the sense that they are not always the same noises -one day you watch a war movie, the next a musical, etc.

I keep birds in my living room and my dining room so I chose a house which is not what it's called 'open concept' where living, dining rooms and kitchen are all open to one another. There is no door to the kitchen but there is an opening so I installed black-out curtains in it which I draw close when I turn off the overhead lights for them. I also have blinds in all the windows and use quilts and bedspreads to cover them because even though we don't really use these rooms after dark [solely for the birds benefit, mind you!], I do need to turn on the light at the top of the stairs or my stupid golden retriever would not use them. So, as you can see, it's a matter of figuring out how to do it... I had a friend years ago who lived in a Manhattan studio apartment [translation, a closet with a teeny tiny bathroom :lol: ] and she managed to keep her birds fully flighted and on a solar schedule!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bosad44 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Pajarita wrote:John [Navre] is correct. All you need is good blinds [because, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there are always lights on the streets or cars passing by that would shine light on the cage] and a black-out cover large enough so you can 'tuck' it under to prevent light 'sneaking in'. You will also need headphones for your TV, if you, like me, like to watch it in bed, because although they do get used to the normal night noises in a household, TV programs or movies don't have 'normal' noises in the sense that they are not always the same noises -one day you watch a war movie, the next a musical, etc.

I keep birds in my living room and my dining room so I chose a house which is not what it's called 'open concept' where living, dining rooms and kitchen are all open to one another. There is no door to the kitchen but there is an opening so I installed black-out curtains in it which I draw close when I turn off the overhead lights for them. I also have blinds in all the windows and use quilts and bedspreads to cover them because even though we don't really use these rooms after dark [solely for the birds benefit, mind you!], I do need to turn on the light at the top of the stairs or my stupid golden retriever would not use them. So, as you can see, it's a matter of figuring out how to do it... I had a friend years ago who lived in a Manhattan studio apartment [translation, a closet with a teeny tiny bathroom :lol: ] and she managed to keep her birds fully flighted and on a solar schedule!

So, what you're suggesting is to cover the cage entirely after the sun sits and uncover it before the sunrise, correct?
bosad44
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Correct! This time of the year, you would uncover the cage at 6:30 - 6:45 am and cover it at 5:30 - 5:45 pm but the days will start getting longer as of tomorrow.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing