Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: How long do Senegal Parrots live?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 am

And we are all hoping right along with you!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Welcome peaches and mom,why don't you go to introductions and tell us a bit about you and peaches :D when I joined last year I missed that part so I just wanted to let you know it was there. Again love new bird lovers , were our own special breed of people. Also bragging is required we never tire of it!!!! :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Cookie Bird » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:54 am

My Senegal Cookie is almost 30 years old. He is domestic hatched from a wild breeding pair. He is starting to show signs of old age already. He has trouble flying in an accurate manor and is very slow getting around his cage. Vet is saying old age and he said on average they live 30-35 years in captivity.
Cookie Bird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 am

Well, by all accounts, birds don't age the same way as other animals do and if there are physical signs of deterioration, I would recommend you get a complete physical [exam, CBC, Avian chem panel and bile acids] because what the vet calls 'old age' is, most likely, a physical problem like liver malfunction, enlarged heart or something that can be helped through supplements and diet. Just because a bird is old, it doesn't mean that one should assume it's something that cannot be helped...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Justjill » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:08 pm

Mine is 32 years old….had him since he was 6 weeks.
Justjill
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:17 am

How wonderful for you and him!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby aujlaranjit49 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:03 am

Thanks for the insight, Michael. I guess we will just have to wait & see what our bird's older cousins can do in ideal conditions.
vidmate
mobdro
aujlaranjit49
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Thechad » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:50 pm

My Martha (28) & Zazu (26) were both bred in captivity. We rescued them 13 years ago and are very lucky to know their entire history. They were bred in ND. We live in Colorado and use the Co State University teaching veterinarian college. We have the two of the oldest Senegals here in Colorado. Proper care & husbandry are critical for a healthy life. I have spent many hours reading and researching. Fresh fruit and veggies daily & in my opinion home made food and table scraps are the best. My two eat every meal with me! Good luck!
Thechad
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: I have 2 Senegal parrots.

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:57 am

How wonderful that your sennies are doing so well! I have a 26 year old male (Sweetpea) and a 16 year old female (Zoey) and they are both doing great, too! But mine do not eat people food at all. For one thing, most people's food have either salt, sugar or white flour, things that are not good for birds plus and in all honesty, I eat garbage compared to my birds - :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby charlesjanes » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:26 pm

Well done for using what we knew at the time to provide him with a healthy diet! Additionally, for protecting him from mishaps and self-destruction.
geometry dash lite
charlesjanes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet