Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Free Flight problems

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Free Flight problems

Postby Charlie *^* » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Oh! Are sun conures?
Zeph and Charlie :sun:
Charlie *^*
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

No, sun conures are fine with harnesses.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby pegwing » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:44 pm

[color=#000080][/color]oh come on ppl, free flying parrots of all types is a thing, i fly macaw, and we as flyers must look at every risk of free flight of which there are many, but i couldn't keep a macaw especially in a cage, more often than not there got then when the new shine wares off there left in a cage in someone's front room for how ever many years they don't die of boredom .. there's risks lots of them but as an owner and lover of birds you need to decide what sort of flight you will take part in be it indoor in a , harness flight or free. the happiness my bird shows when in free flight makes it all worth it, your opinion is just that your opinion, don't assume your opinion is correct, its obviously not for this lady and its definitely not for me, i on the other hand am flying macaw and a lovebird 30 years so i do have the experience ..the fact is its a huge risk but a short happy life if that is what it comes to its often a better decision for each individual better than a long miserable life to be sure, again in my opinion, my point is each opinion is different and all if done well can be right..to the og question there's a very reasonable online course that covers landing on strangers I've had someone take a bird home no training is guaranteed to stop it but to lesson it is possible, l'd be reckless to try tell you how here as every bird is so different that each more often than not need a different solution unless i knew you and your bird i couldn't say have a look at liberty wings its a good online course.. :macaw:
pegwing
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pigeon, 2 rescued lovebirds that are screaming up a storm, and our macaw chick is 11 days old today..but I can’t see him yet because we can’t travel or meet ppl and our breeders an older man so worry for his safety right now.....but soon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:05 am

Well, according to your 'history' on the forum, you acquired your macaw in 2020 (please correct me if I am wrong but that is what you indicated on your posts previously) so, yes, it is pretty safe to fly a one year old baby (it's like a puppy, they always follow your feet), it's the sexually mature birds that are in danger of flying away. Personally, I believe that, as bird keepers, our first responsibility is to keep our birds safe and I refuse to put my birds in danger. I also do not believe it's and 'either - or' situation (meaning forgotten in a cage or free flight), there are other choices - I opt for cage-free birdrooms and outdoor flight aviaries (which I hope are coming soon for my birds).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Introductions