Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to teach my 14yo how to play

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to teach my 14yo how to play

Postby Marvys Mom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 am

I adopted Marvy when he got caught in a housing situation.... they never played with him or introduced toys.... I'm afraid he gets bored and then goes into screaming, plucking behavior... he regurgitates constantly. I've tried to introduce toys and even kept them with me so he would know they're ok, but he ignores them or depending on the toys, makes him worse. Would love some help!
Marvys Mom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: How to teach my 14yo how to play

Postby liz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 am

Rainbow came to me without toys. I got him all kinds but he still did not play. Myrtle came with one toy and played with it. She saw Rainbows toys and played with them. He learned from her.

Parrots like cell phones and key boards because they think we are playing with them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: How to teach my 14yo how to play

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum! The first thing you need to fix is the constant regurgitation because that is not good for the bird for several reasons. The most important reason being that he needs to be overly hormonal to do that because birds that are not never do it - not even during breeding season.

Now, ekkies are very difficult birds to keep healthy and happy because they simply cannot eat the same food as any other parrot. Their diet in the wild is super specialized [VERY high in fiber and moisture and very low in protein and fat] so all the commercial diets out there are no good for them [and that's the reason why they all die so young]. It seems to me that this bird must have been free-fed either pellets or seeds/nuts which is, literally, poison to their liver and kidneys. They need lots and lots of produce and cooked whole grains. They are also the species of parrots that has the longest breeding season in the wild [up to nine months!] so keeping them at a super strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk is essential as well as the special diet. So, the very first thing I would recommend you do is re-evaluate his diet and light schedule.

As to toys... well, I tell you, I don't have a whole lot of experience with this species because I only had one female and one male but what I can tell you is that neither played at all with any toys. They would much rather climb up and down branches, fly around, hang from things upside down from one foot and twirl their bodies around [I used to call the female: Gymnast Barbie :lol: ] and ride your shoulder than anything else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training