Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

No romaine for now!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

No romaine for now!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 am

They found E.coli in it. Read about it: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... li=BBnbfcL
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: No romaine for now!

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Boy it sure seems that there is so much tainted food in our food chain it's almost like playing Russian roulette anymore. Has anyone else been following the die off at the rescues, birds and beaks rescue and rehab? I got a notification 10 days ago and it was mass emailed and 3 foods were mentioned and caused a pretty much mass hysteria. Following there posts and reports about food, vet records , symptoms etc I'm more inclined to believe it was some sort of noxious fumes but they said they had the air tested . Even having the air tested it could have been completely cleared out from vehicle running outside too close to windows or spray or what ever by the time air samples were taken. The symptoms were wobbly, disoriented, vomiting and then death within just a few hours. They are waiting for results from necropsys but when the vet examined the stomach contents it looked like green sludge and there livers were rock hard. Somebody had mentioned fresh food that was feed and they said they hadn't fed anything but the pellets and seed for the whole week. :shock: to busy over the holidays :roll: I just don't know what to think anymore , none of us can possibly be perfect but the best of us keep on trying and learning. Think I'll put in a much bigger garden this year and do a lot of freezing and dehydrating. Anyone know anything about freeze drying safety, is it okay or should it be rehydrated before feeding?
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

Well, if the pellets or the seeds were old and moldy, that would bring the same symptoms and, if the birds are not treated immediately and instead, they continue to feed the same bad stuff, it would also bring death pretty quickly. All I can tell you about freeze-dried is that it's almost as nutritious as frozen but I don't think anything that was freeze-dried can actually be truly reconstituted even if you soak it overnight. I do it to the mealworms but although they do become a bit softer, they don't feel at all like 'real' meal worms. I don't like anything dehydrated for birds and I really do not see what the benefit is for the owners unless it's a bit of savings [which I would gladly give up as long as it also means less work for me :lol: ]. I use fresh and frozen mainly and the only dry things I use are foods that are dried naturally like raisins, dates, figs, currants and cranberries mixed with the gloop or in their birdybread.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

My objective on freeze drying was purely for safety concern growing everything I can for my fids. Freezing does well but also has a high liquid content when thawed which is alright but if freeze dried was added to the chop from the frozen veggies seems like it would be doubly nutritious as instead of discarding liquid the freeze dried would soak it up and add another layer of texture to the chop. I just wasn't sure if there was a danger if it wasn't fully rehydrated absorbing moisture from there crop. ;) BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

Somehow Rainbow heard the story about the romaine and refused the offer. She has never liked dry fruit.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am

The thing to do with ALL produce is to wash it with soap and water. Most people just rinse under water and that's why they end up getting stuff like e coli, salmonella and all the other nasties BUT if you soak your leafy greens in a bowl with cold water and good splash of dish soap for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse thoroughly, you would kill the nasties. And this goes for organic produce, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet