Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Discouraging my pacific parrotlet from exploring the floor

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Discouraging my pacific parrotlet from exploring the floor

Postby UWotAndTheM8s » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm

So... it's their natural instinct to forage on the floor. Which wouldn't be much of an issue if stepping on them wasn't a common cause of death for them. I do have a sixth sense for where she is now, of course. And I am always careful, but I do want to minimize the amount of time she spends on the floor because of the danger it can pose.

Getting her to step-up every time she's on the floor would only get her to use the floor as a way to catch my attention. One thing I've started doing is training her to fly to her cage on command so that she will fly off the floor herself when I want her to. But while she can do it, she's still not at the point where she will do it immediately at all times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The things I especially try to do is make the rest of the room more interesting than the floor so she is more inclined to explore that. I also try to clean the floor frequently so she won't try forage for leftover pieces of millet and such that fell on the floor.
UWotAndTheM8s
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific parrotlet.
Flight: Yes

Re: Discouraging my pacific parrotlet from exploring the floor

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I have several areas in the bird room with places to fly too with foraging stations on them and foraging trees are nice. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Re: Discouraging my pacific parrotlet from exploring the floor

Postby liz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 am

Rainbow is a pedestrian. He always walks the floor or climbs to higher places.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Taming & Basic Training