Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

When is it safe for me to own birds again?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

When is it safe for me to own birds again?

Postby NeonDragonfly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 am

I had to make a new account as I can't remember the password yo my old one. Sorry if this is on the wrong board.
Long story short, I had to have my birds put down as they'd gotten psittacine beak and feather disease. After they were gone, I got rid of their cages, perches and toys. I also disenfected their room and anywhere I let them fly.
It's been 15 months, and I was wondering if it's safe for me to own birds again?
NeonDragonfly
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: Yes

Re: When is it safe for me to own birds again?

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 am

Sorry about your birds. That’s a good question, and I don’t have an answer. I hope someone comes along who does.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby NeonDragonfly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 am

Navre wrote:Sorry about your birds. That’s a good question, and I don’t have an answer. I hope someone comes along who does.

Thank you. The house has been very quiet without them, especially my two :cockatiel: They were so sweet.
NeonDragonfly
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:39 am

First of all, please accept my condolences on your loss.

Now, PBFD is carried from bird to bird through feather dander and aerosolized poop so as long as you have gotten rid of all their stuff and cleaned the room thoroughly [I like painting for that because, that way, you know you did not miss a spot], it should be OK for you to get more. And, if you do, I highly recommend you adopt birds that are older than two years of age because:
a] birds that die from the disease always contract it when babies or juveniles and always show symptoms before they get to that age so, if they are older than 2, they are over that stage.
b] by that age, the birds have developed their immune system completely and, in the remote possibility that something still remains in your home, the small amount of pathogen that could be left added to a strong immune system will mean the bird will not get sick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby NeonDragonfly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 am

Thank you Pajarita, it was a hard desicion. But the disease had started taking its toll, they couldn't fly and their breadt bone was very pronounced.
I did give the room a thorough clean, including the carpets and walls, and the curtains, net curtains and curtain rail. And I did repaint it. Thank you for the advice, not that I'm going to rush out and find a bird right away. But it's nice to know that if I see one, it would be safe for me to bring it home.
NeonDragonfly
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 am

Well, come back and tell us about your new companion when you decide on one. Check CL, Kijiji and Rescueme.com - there are always good birds up for adoption and in need of a good home in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care