Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What do I do?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

What do I do?

Postby Parrotmommy1020 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello everyone my name is Patrice and I'm new to the community. I will be getting my CAG :gray: in March and because I am in italy the owners of the bird speak italian. I speak little to no italian and I don't know how I will be able to communicate with him properly. Also the CAG is a little over a year. Has anyone been in this type of situation before? If so what did you do and how did it go? :shock:
Well hope all is well and thank you in advance! :D :thumbsup:
Parrotmommy1020
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What do I do?

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Parrotmommy1020 wrote:Hello everyone my name is Patrice and I'm new to the community. I will be getting my CAG :gray: in March and because I am in italy the owners of the bird speak italian. I speak little to no italian and I don't know how I will be able to communicate with him properly. Also the CAG is a little over a year. Has anyone been in this type of situation before? If so what did you do and how did it go? :shock:
Well hope all is well and thank you in advance! :D :thumbsup:

The language barrier won’t matter much. If he speaks, and he may not because greys tend to develop speech later than other birds, learn the few words he knows. Things like “good bird” will be easy for you to learn.

He will start to mimic you once he is with you.

We did have a Blue Crown Conure who was named Nina. She would get very excited when she heard Portuguese, but she had lived with a Portuguese-speaking family for many years. We adopted her out to an English-speaking family, and she is doing just great.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Parrotmommy1020 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you for that! I was pretty worried I will make sure I know most of the phrases needed for him. Didn't want him to be so confused. He would already be a stressed from the new environment.
Parrotmommy1020
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:40 am

Even if he were a great speaker, which is unlikely at his age, he doesn’t really “speak” Italian. Tone, mannerisms, and body language is a lot more important to the bird.

Paj will probably comment. All her birds are adopted and, although she writes English with exceptional fluency, I suspect she speaks Spanish to her flock. She might have more insight on this that I do.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 am

Welcome to the forum! But no, I don't speak Spanish to any of my animals with the exception of Mami Zon which used to speak only Spanish but now speaks English, too, and the only command I still use in Spanish is the "Step up!" one ["Dame la patita"]. And Naida Zon, Mami's companion, understand the command in both languages now from hearing us asking Mami and seeing what she does when asked - they are SUPER smart!

Don't worry for one second about it! First of all, the bird is still a baby - well, maybe not a baby-baby but only now going into its juvenile stage [the mature sexually at around two years of age] so he is only now beginning to learn. The most important thing you need to do is keep on calling him the same name he now has because parrots understand the concept of proper names AND use them themselves in the wild [the parents name the babies in the nest and the babies continue using these names throughout their entire lives]. Ask the current owners which phrases they use for things like step up, come here, good boy or bad boy and, at the beginning continue using them but, at the same time, use the one you would. For example, let's say that his name is Giovanni. You would say something like: "Giovanni, veni qui! Come here! Come here!" Eventually, he will start responding to the "Come here' alone - see what I mean?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Parrotmommy1020 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Thank you navre for the input. And thank you Pajarita for the welcome to the community and your insight to this situation. Your advice will be very helpful and i am greatful. Have a wonderful day you guys! :)
Parrotmommy1020
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care