Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Our little Taco was finally adopted!

Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am

YAAAAAYYYYY for Taco!!! :thumbsup: :danicing: :danicing:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Nice! I did not know you had vasas... and why the 'other' on the species? Is it that you can only choose what they have on their list?

Yes. It's a dropdown list. I didn't do that one so I went back to check. No Vasa option.

The Vasa's were from the Weston Seizure. They were bald with yellow skin when they came in. I guess it's a breeding thing for them. They've gotten pretty good, but one of them HATES me. I can't even feed them. I did catch one of them in Weston, so maybe he is still mad at me over that. Maybe it's the beard, bit he goes into full attack mode whenever I get near the cage. I named them Lenore and Poe because they look a bit like Ravens. And when they're in breeding condition, they look like vultures. I figured the nod to Edgar Allan Poe was appropriate. I think I suggested Poe and our vet suggested Lenore.

Yes, it is somewhat of a breeding thing but I am sure that the bad care had a lot to do with it, too. Vasas are not easy birds to keep -not that any parrot is but vasas are actually more difficult than others because of the need for a super drastic change in diet during breeding season and their physical and behavioral changes during it which are much more acute than in any other parrot species... And I would imagine that a breeding pair which has never had any real good [meaning kind] human contact is even more difficult. Poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57 am

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Nice! I did not know you had vasas... and why the 'other' on the species? Is it that you can only choose what they have on their list?

Yes. It's a dropdown list. I didn't do that one so I went back to check. No Vasa option.

The Vasa's were from the Weston Seizure. They were bald with yellow skin when they came in. I guess it's a breeding thing for them. They've gotten pretty good, but one of them HATES me. I can't even feed them. I did catch one of them in Weston, so maybe he is still mad at me over that. Maybe it's the beard, bit he goes into full attack mode whenever I get near the cage. I named them Lenore and Poe because they look a bit like Ravens. And when they're in breeding condition, they look like vultures. I figured the nod to Edgar Allan Poe was appropriate. I think I suggested Poe and our vet suggested Lenore.

Yes, it is somewhat of a breeding thing but I am sure that the bad care had a lot to do with it, too. Vasas are not easy birds to keep -not that any parrot is but vasas are actually more difficult than others because of the need for a super drastic change in diet during breeding season and their physical and behavioral changes during it which are much more acute than in any other parrot species... And I would imagine that a breeding pair which has never had any real good [meaning kind] human contact is even more difficult. Poor things!

The vet who helped me catch them was giving us a bit of a lesson on them. They're the only parrot with a hemipenis. The chicks hatch in less than 3weeks. They turn yellow and lose their feathers when they breed. All pretty odd from only being isolated on Madagascar. I thin most birds can make that flight. It's not like the lemurs.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Yes, animals in islands evolved differently than the ones in the mainland. But I am not surprised they did not fly to the mainland as most large parrot species are pretty lazy when it comes to exploring or enlarging their territories - as long as there is enough food where they live, they stay there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby pmc222 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Just thought I would post my experience at a parrot rescue I had last Saturday.

I posted little bit ago about how to be involved with parrots without owning one. I ended up finding a place called "Wilson Parrot Foundation" about an hour north of me. It's a parrot rescue that was began by a man named Brian Wilson, whom is an ex-firefighter. In 1995, Brian had 3 parrots that he would travel with locally to give firearm and fire safety presentations. A few months after he began giving these presentations, he was in a very bad car accident that resulted in permanent disability and the death of one of his parrots, Rocco. He credits his progress in recovery to his parrots, and wanted to give back to them. He began Wilson Parrot Foundation, and pretty much dedicated his entire life to the parrots. The rescue is located in a house in Maryland that includes three separate aviaries and living space for Brian.

I arrived on Saturday, February 10th, at about 11:20 AM, and was welcomed right through the front door, which is the doorway into Aviary #1. Immediately, I was face to face with a beautiful double yellow-headed Amazon named Kiwi, who apparently doesn't like men all that much, but seemed to like me right from the start. She was on top of her cage, and walked right over and stuck her foot out for a step-up. She then proceeded to tell me all sorts of things such as "I'm a good bird", "My name is Kiwi", "Want an apple", "hahahahaha", and then sang Happy Birthday.

I was a little overwhelmed at first, as I am someone who loves birds but hasn't spend much time around them. There were a ton of birds in this aviary, and I found out later that it's because Aviary #3 is in the process of being renovated, so they had more birds in 1 and 2 than they normally would have. There were a few Amazons, two Umbrella Cockatoos, a Galah Cockatoo, an African Grey, and Macaw after Macaw after Macaw. It was very clear that Macaws are surrendered the most around here, because there were so many. In Aviary #1, there were a few Blue and Gold', a Scarlet, a Military, a Maui Sunrise, and two Hyacinth's. The Hyacinth's are absolutely gorgeous, and while the two obviously didn't trust me, they were amazingly gentle with the other volunteers that have been there a while. One, named Jack, nestled right underneath the chin of the volunteer coordinator and would have stayed there forever if she let him.

Aviary #2 is all Macaws. It is LOUD in there. Again, it's a little overcrowded due to the renovation of #3. These are pretty much all Blue and Gold's and Scarlet's, with one Buffon's and one Harlequin.

There are also two small parrots in their office, one a Quaker and the other a red-fronted conure. Climber, the Quaker, was a little cage aggressive, but very friendly once off the cage.

The great thing about this place is that there are a bunch of cages, but pretty much none of them have doors. The birds stay out 24/7, and have free range of their aviary. It seems like they all have their specific areas each one stays in, though.

After an introduction to the routine and some background information, I jumped right into being taught how to clip nails and pull broken tail feathers. I have a background in vet care, albeit dogs and cats. I guess most of the volunteers aren't comfortable holding birds to do the grooming, so it always ends up being the volunteer coordinator and Brian, who only has use of one arm, doing it. They have just under 40 birds, so it had become a lot of work to groom them with only two people doing it. I was taught how to hold them first and then how to clip nails and pull broken tail feathers. I've clipped about a billion dog and cat nails, so it was all pretty natural. I've also held plenty of dogs and cats that did not want their nails clipped, so I'm very used to uncooperative patients. I was really grateful to be providing a useful service; and it made me immensely more comfortable in the environment once I was involved more.

After the grooming sessions, I spent the rest of the time speaking to the volunteer coordinator and playing with the birds. Kiwi is my little buddy, and I also made friends with the African Grey, who apparently doesn't step up for many people, but offered his foot after getting scritches for a few minutes.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I'll be going back most weekends to help out and play. I don't have time for my own parrot, so this is a great way for me to get my bird fix.
pmc222
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

HOW WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you so very much both for volunteering AND coming back to tell us how it went at the rescue [and it sounds like a great place, too!]. Next time, do start your own thread and, if you can, post some pictures of the birds there. Do they adopt out or is it more a sanctuary than a rescue?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 am

It sounds like a great place. I’ll have to get down there to visit some time.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby pmc222 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 am

Pajarita wrote:HOW WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you so very much both for volunteering AND coming back to tell us how it went at the rescue [and it sounds like a great place, too!]. Next time, do start your own thread and, if you can, post some pictures of the birds there. Do they adopt out or is it more a sanctuary than a rescue?

I thought this was just a general "Parrot Rescue" thread. I didn't realize it was specific to someone's story. I'll start my own one next time.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if pictures were posted. They do adopt out, but only if really specific requirements are met. You must volunteer there every week (at least 3 hours per week) for 6 months and you have to show that the parrot would have a better life with you than it would at the rescue. The volunteer coordinator said that it's mostly about making sure that the staff trusts you before adopting out a parrot. It sounds like the majority of them end up being sanctuary parrots.
pmc222
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: No

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am

pmc222 wrote:
Pajarita wrote:HOW WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you so very much both for volunteering AND coming back to tell us how it went at the rescue [and it sounds like a great place, too!]. Next time, do start your own thread and, if you can, post some pictures of the birds there. Do they adopt out or is it more a sanctuary than a rescue?

I thought this was just a general "Parrot Rescue" thread. I didn't realize it was specific to someone's story. I'll start my own one next time.

No worries, PMC. It will just be easier to keep track of who's who, I think.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic