Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Howdy! I'm new!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Howdy! I'm new!

Postby madeofvoid » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Hey everyone! This is Veda and Mango (I know! common name :p ) the Sun Conure :sun: !
Mango is 2 years old! Almost 3! He loves chewin up my shirts, eatin treats, snugglin late at night, and givin kissies! (He's also a bit of a brat, but I find it in endearing in a way :lol: )
I joined up because I love all birds and I obviously own one myself! I wont be the most active , but I enjoy looking at all the advice and information about parrots! :thumbsup:

43EC6BF7-ED7A-4709-97D5-4289F5CCB08B.JPG
Baby mango!
43EC6BF7-ED7A-4709-97D5-4289F5CCB08B.JPG (66.99 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Attachments
IMG_5008.JPG
Mango now!
IMG_5008.JPG (34.46 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
M A N G O :sun:
madeofvoid
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Howdy! I'm new!

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am

Welcome. Beautiful bird!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 am

Welcome, Veda and Mango! He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Now, a word of caution, at two years of age, he is now a 'young man' with all his 'pep' and all that this implies so I strongly recommend you are very careful with the light schedule and his diet or he can become overly hormonal and end up nippy and scream too much. These two 'problems' are the number one reasons why sun conures are given up and most people think they are sun conure traits but they are not and, in reality, it's easy to prevent them, all you have to do is keep their endocrine system in tune with the seasons.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby madeofvoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Pajarita wrote:Welcome, Veda and Mango! He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Now, a word of caution, at two years of age, he is now a 'young man' with all his 'pep' and all that this implies so I strongly recommend you are very careful with the light schedule and his diet or he can become overly hormonal and end up nippy and scream too much. These two 'problems' are the number one reasons why sun conures are given up and most people think they are sun conure traits but they are not and, in reality, it's easy to prevent them, all you have to do is keep their endocrine system in tune with the seasons.

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely do some research on this. I would really appreciate some more insight thought if youre able to give it! :>
madeofvoid
Parakeet

Postby madeofvoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Navre wrote:Welcome. Beautiful bird!

Thank you! :mrgreen:
madeofvoid
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

[quote="madeofvoid]
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely do some research on this. I would really appreciate some more insight thought if youre able to give it! :>[/quote]

Glad to do it! Sun conures are mainly fruit eaters in the wild so free-feeding protein food like pellets, seeds, nuts, nutriberriess and avicales makes them hormonal so, in the morning and for all day picking they should get raw produce and something like gloop, chop or mash with just a measured portion of the protein food for dinner only. Mine eat gloop and raw produce in the morning and either a seed mix or a seed/nut mix for dinner, depending on the species.

And the light schedule needs to be strictly solar with full exposure to dawn and dusk [because the different light that happens at these two times of the day is what turns on or off their internal clock]. This means that there can be no lights prior the sun being up in the sky or after it's halfway down the horizon with the bird going to sleep naturally as night falls.

There are a couple of subjects that you can do more research on your own if you want more detailed information: avian photoperiodism, avian endocrine system, avian reproductive system.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby madeofvoid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Pajarita wrote:[quote="madeofvoid]
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely do some research on this. I would really appreciate some more insight thought if youre able to give it! :>[/quote]

Glad to do it! Sun conures are mainly fruit eaters in the wild so free-feeding protein food like pellets, seeds, nuts, nutriberriess and avicales makes them hormonal so, in the morning and for all day picking they should get raw produce and something like gloop, chop or mash with just a measured portion of the protein food for dinner only. Mine eat gloop and raw produce in the morning and either a seed mix or a seed/nut mix for dinner, depending on the species.

And the light schedule needs to be strictly solar with full exposure to dawn and dusk [because the different light that happens at these two times of the day is what turns on or off their internal clock]. This means that there can be no lights prior the sun being up in the sky or after it's halfway down the horizon with the bird going to sleep naturally as night falls.

There are a couple of subjects that you can do more research on your own if you want more detailed information: avian photoperiodism, avian endocrine system, avian reproductive system.[/quote]

Thank you so much! I have a lot of trouble trying to get him to eat fresh produce :( but i made a separate post on that. Hopefully I can figure it out soon.
madeofvoid
Parakeet

Return to Introductions