Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bought a alexandrine parrot 6 days ago.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Bought a alexandrine parrot 6 days ago.

Postby Leo84 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:59 am

Hi I have recently bought an alexandrine parrot for our family. He seems so timid about everyone, he's very cautious when someone approached and wouldn't let anyone pat him. Also he will not come out of his cage on his own. I'm just wondering if he was maybe mistreated before and now is very cautious with people.
Would he eventually be more relaxed? Or would he be this timid all the time?
We can approach the cage and most times he moves away and turns his back on us. But sometimes he stays still and takes treat from hand.
Also the step up is a definately no no at the moment.

We just want him to be more relaxed around us as he's now a part of the family.
Leo84
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Bought a alexandrine parrot 6 days ago.

Postby liz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am

Ignore him. Never look him full in the face. Keep your hands away. Fix it so he has a perch at your face level.

That bird is scared and has the right to be. You took him from everything he knew and brought him to a strange place. I do not know his back round but I know we are giants with big hands. Hands can hurt little birds. To him you are a preditor.

Talk to him. Sing to him. Spend as much time as possible in the room he is in. Give him a chance to adjust. Don't push. When he is ready he will come to you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Bought a alexandrine parrot 6 days ago.

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome to the forum! Now, we need a bit more information because the right advice depends on the bird's age and circumstances. Is it a baby that you bought from a breeder or an adult bird that used to belong to somebody else? How long have you had him? If he came from somebody else, how old is he and do you know anything about his background? What is he being fed? What is the daily routine? Housing?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions