Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Neurological?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Neurological?

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 pm

My meyers follows my jardine around. Often, the jardine will move to a new area. And, its auditory and visually obvious. Yet, the meyers will continue calling and looking for him near by in a different spot. There are no hearing or sight problems, im sure of. But, could there be something neurological going on? Its shockingly rediculous. :o
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Neurological?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am

I doubt it. Neurological problems in birds don't manifest that way - at least, I've never seen, heard or read about any bird showing that behavior as a sign of neurological problems. There are three reasons why birds have neurological 'problems': trauma, a cardiovascular event that deprived the brain of enough oxygen or severe dietary deficiencies. If he had had trauma, you would know about it because you would have seen the external damage to his head. Same thing with the cardiovascular event - if he had had a stroke, an aneurism, a brain hemorrhage, etc, you would have seen him down and showing ample and more severe symptoms than this. And I doubt it's dietary because it takes a lot of feeding wrong to get this.

My guess is that you think he is calling and looking for the jardine but, in reality, he is doing something different.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I think you forgot one? Cant ingestion of something cause neurological damage? Like paint?
Anyway, the meyers contact call for me is 3-5 clicks of the tongue. The meyers contact call for the jardine is a cluck-cluck. This is clear. However, nnothat i think about it...maybe he is continuing the contact call while simply checking out the area he was at...out...of curiosity. Poor thing gets rejected a lot. But, i go the extra to fascilitate moments where they are side by side and even touching. It almost seems like the meyers is the layed back smart one, understanding of the jardine's neurosis! Meanwhile, the jardine is a aggressive snob who needs to be cuddled intermittently.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes, toxins can cause neurological problems but they are more severe than that [we are talking seizures]. Paint is not poisonous unless it's a super old paint [the kind that has lead in it was banned in 1977] and the bird eats a lot of it in which case it would get heavy metal poisoning but, again, it would have severe symptoms...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet