Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Iron / alexandrine

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Iron / alexandrine

Postby Mick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 am

I'm caught in a dilemma.
Having recently lost our senegal we are deciding on a new parrot.
We have narrowed it down to either a ringneck or an alexandrine.
Never having owned any of these could owners give me the pros and cons of each and any differences in personality.
Hoping to get more insight from owners, not just things I've read on the internet.
Thanks.
Mick
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon, senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Iron / alexandrine

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 am

I have had a bunch of IRN at the rescue. We had a bonded pair of alexandrine.

The IRN can be a cool bird, but I think you'll find them more aloof than your senegal was. I don't think they bond with people as readily as a Sennie does.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Mick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Yeah our sennie was a 1 person bird and bonded with my wife. I've been told alexandrines are a bit better.
Mick
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Both IRNs and Alexandrines are psittaculas and all the psittaculas can be pretty aloof when they reach adulthood so you are going to find them VERY different to senegals. Plus, they both require very frequent and experienced handling or they 'revert to their wild ways' [this is the way most people explain it] - they also require a different diet from sennies.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 am

I've seen IRN, Alexandrine, Derbyan, Mustache, be really friendly birds. We have others that seem like they'll be wild forever. The pair we have now were breeders, but they're coming around, slowly.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 am

It's not that they are not friendly. All handfed birds remain friendly to people unless they are abused. It's the 'degree' of friendliness that makes the difference. While a senegal bonds very deeply to a human to the point that you can handle that bird without a single thought in your head as to whether the bird will accept that kind of handling or not, the handling of a psittacula is completely different... it's always on their terms and not yours. It's not going to attack you, it will love you and, most likely, love to perch on your shoulder for a while and even follow you around the house but this is something you would achieve with a sparrow or a chicken or any other species of bird if it's handfed and always treated kindly. A companion species develops a much, much deeper bond of love and trust.

If I had to recommend a 'substitute' species for a senegal, I would say a quaker would work very well -of course, as long as you can keep it to a strict solar schedule. They are of a similar size, they bond as deeply as a senegal would and are just as smart if not smarter than them. They do require a lower protein diet and might not live as long but, then, in captivity, birds never last as long as they should anyway...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had considered Quakers but was told that they are extra loud.
Mick
Parrotlet

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 am

Mick wrote:Thanks for the advice. I had considered Quakers but was told that they are extra loud.

They really can be. Any bird can be, but quakers seem to be a lot.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 am

Yes, they are loud but, if they are kept right, they only vocalize when they are supposed to. Quakers need to be kept at a strict solar schedule and on a fresh food diet so they don't get hormonal [which makes them scream]. They are also super intelligent so they also need something to entertain them. And, as any other parrot, they need constant company... It's only when you don't give them what they need that they scream. Because, in truth, even the 'quiet' species of parrots can be pretty loud when they are not happy. Senegals are considered a 'quiet' species but I got one that was given to me because she screamed so much, so loud and so often that her owner was afraid she was going to get evicted [she did not scream here at all and, years after, when her previous owner moved to a house, she wanted her back and I complied - but the woman called me the next day telling me to come and get her because she had been screaming non-stop]. Same thing with GCCs... everybody says they are quiet birds and they are! [I only hear mine when she is in a rush for her dinner], but I got one that my daughter went to Texas to pick up that was given up because he screamed all day long [again, he did not scream here and he still does not in his new home]. Ditto with cockatoos! Freddy was a screamer and it took me ten months to break him out of the habit but, once he stopped, he was fine.

It's all a matter of keeping them healthy and happy... You keep the bird comfortable, flighted, on a good diet and keep it company and they don't scream.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 am

My GCC is screaming a lot now. She just doesn't want to be in her cage. The problem is, I can't let her put of I have to go out later. She can be a real problem to catch. She flies all over. I can't leave her out unsupervised because she will land on the grey's cage and lose a foot.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Parrot Species